Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Studia Nummorum  (Read 811 times)

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
Studia Nummorum
« on: February 07, 2022, 01:25:37 pm »
Interesting notice from Roma Numismatics today. They've launched a new free online journal called Studia Nummorum.
The Introduction and the first article can be found on their website here: https://www.romanumismatics.com/ejournal.
This could be a good resource. Something to watch.

Steve
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Studia Nummorum
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 02:07:40 pm »
The first article posthumously publishes an article by by Simon Bendall who died several years ago.

A year before Simon Bendall died his huge collection of Byzantine coins were stolen by Dominik Kuzio.  I have no idea if Bendall's coins vanished or are on the market now.

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 04:23:10 pm »
I have suggested to Rich Beale asking if he would get Andrew Meadows and Francois de Callatay to write new articles on the stephanophores.
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 12:00:19 am »
:
A year before Simon Bendall died his huge collection of Byzantine coins were stolen by Dominik Kuzio.  I have no idea if Bendall's coins vanished or are on the market now.

Wow. That's a really sad story, Ed. Very sorry to learn about it.
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 04:15:34 pm »
 I got this reply from Roma's Sally Oliver. I have passed on relevant information. Has any others got any ideas ( preferably to me in the Hellenistic field) where a little Roman in my Greek would fit nicely. See the coins from Kyme and Myrina  as proxy coinage to back the Attalids and Rome's favourite for the Seleucid throne.

Dear John,

Thank you very much for your email and your suggestion of these two academics. We would be happy to reach out to them, do you have contact information for them which we could use?

Thank you very much

All the best

Sally Oliver

Associate Manager

Roma Numismatics Ltd.

40 Villiers Street
London

WC2N 6NJ
United Kingdom
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 03:19:30 pm »
Thanks for sharing this, Steve! I'm curious & will keep an eye on it. I've haven't published anything numismatic (in sociology, the field I studied, I've done academic journal articles, book chapters, etc.), but I watch out for places to read and possibly publish minor "research notes" (stuff not suitable as full articles for peer reviewed journals, but still potentially worth contributing to the literature).

"Academia Letters" (by Academia.edu) has been putting out some numismatic stuff too (I'm aware of the ones in Academia Letters only because they send me the requests to review; I only do the free membership, so I can read whatever's there, but I can't do the "advanced search"). Info: https://www.academia.edu/letters/about.

Of course, Academia.edu has tons of numismatic material unrelated to "Letters" (researchgate.net is similar but fewer members/less material, I think), ranging from very high quality to less-than-useful, but most pretty good including most of the independent/unpublished stuff I've come across (journal articles, book chapters, sometimes theses/dissertations, even some lectures that have been video recorded or just the PowerPoint slides, independent researchers' own e-books or unpublished essays, and so on). I keep a list of numismatists with Academia.edu pages that include .pdfs of their writings (it includes some Forum members). Basically anytime I search for an article and find it on Academia, I save the URL and that of the author(s), for reference. Happy to share if anyone's interested, but it's also straightforward to do the same thing oneself.

Too bad "Journal of Ancient Numismatics" (among others) didn't take off. Opportunities for publishing online have replaced a lot of older venues, of course. But I really enjoyed the old genre of auction catalogs with scholarly essays and other material published by "trade" entities (partly for their own commercial reasons, no doubt, but also, oftentimes, as contributions to the literature in their own right). Classical Numismatic Review and other outlets still do a bit of it. But I feel the genre hasn't been adequately replaced. Call me crazy, but I'm optimistic that there'll be an audience whenever someone tries it again.

Ed, regarding the Simon Bendall Collection(s):

Simon Bendall’s (1937-2019) collection was burglarized TWICE, once in 1989 (Los Angeles, while working with NFA) and again in 2018 (London). (I don't have any thorough summary or contemporary accounts of the first burglary in 1989; please share if anyone knows one.)

Copy/pasting below with some edits from my "Crimes against Numismatics" file:

According to DOAKS (link):
His collection was stolen in 1989 when he was working with NFA. He recovered a part, which he sold to the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, in 1999, and which makes up the core of E. Lianta’s Late Byzantine Coins 1204–1453 in the Ashmolean Museum University of Oxford (2009). His recent acquisitions were also stolen from his London residence in 2018.

The second case (2018) was still active as of 2021 October 26 (Evening Standard): Article Link. Dominik Kuzio was convicted in absentia (he's a fugitive believed to be in Poland) and sentenced to 4 years in prison. He fled while awaiting trial. No coins recovered.

There was a roughly-contemporary Forum discussion on the 2018 burglary, quoting the original Coinsweekly announcement and linking to news coverage: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=114662.0. The thread also mentions the 1989 burglary of his Palaeologian collection and states that 20% had been recovered, but without further sources. (And here, another for his death.)

Speaking of collection burglaries, the case of J Hewitt Judd (famous US Patterns coll./author) is an interesting one. Notice what Berk has to say about it in Gemini XII, 509 (also BBS 189) when they came across the stolen collection in trade decades later:
"Ex Harlan J. Berk Ltd., List No. 1, April 1974, lot 83 (cover coin). Ex Dr. J. Hewitt T. Judd Collection, 1950s
This coin was purchased by the famous author of the U.S. Pattern book, Dr. Hewett T. Judd of Wichita, Kansas, in the 1950s. In the 1960s theives [sic] broke into his house hoping to steal his U.S. pattern collection, instead they took his ancient coins. These were then kept in the home of a Mafia member for at least a decade. When they came into the market in about 1970 they were quickly identified as the stolen coins of Dr. Judd. When we brought the coins years later to show them to Dr. Judd, then a man in his mid-80s, he said with a twinkle in his eye that these were not his coins. Of course the insurance company had already paid him a princely sum for his stolen collection."

There are several different ways to read in between the lines there....
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 04:34:23 pm »
KOINON (now entering its fifth year) is happy to consider lengthy articles and brief notes. That being said I wish Richard well in his new endeavor.

https://archaeopress.com/ArchaeopressShop/Public/defaultAll.asp?Series=KOINON

All coins are guaranteed for eternity