Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any opinion about this bronce objects  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Jose G

• Praetorian
Any opinion about this bronce objects
« on: October 06, 2020, 05:37:00 pm »
 :Greek_Pi:Hi again everyone,

I know that this task is not an easy one, but I will try. Any opinion about those object?

I really know that is not possible to hit 100% , but just an opinion will be much appreciated

I will try first (It is possibl were wrong):

:circleline: I think that the rounded one is an strap or harness fitting.

Regarding to the rectangular one I think, it is one part of a Belt mount duo. ¿could be?

Both from an roman place.

Regards and thanks again,

Jose

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Any opinion about this bronce objects
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 07:44:27 pm »
The loop is part of a bronze cooking vessel.  The two flat bits were riveted to the rim of a metal pot or bowl or small cauldron and the loop was used to suspend it, usually from a chain.  Two such items were used, on opposite sides of the bowl.

The other piece might be part of the reinforcing strip of the rim of such a bowl if they were found together.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jose G

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 12:23:18 am »
otlichnik, thanks a lot again.

Offline nikopolis1

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 02:14:40 am »
Can't speak for the loop but regarding the rectangular piece-some times ago two  rectangular pieces exactly like this one came out together with a legionary belt buckle and lorica segmentata fittings .In my opinoin the rectangular piece is part of a armour or was rivetet to a leather or belt.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 09:14:39 am »
Pieces like this do appear as part of belt-sets - helping affix mid-2nd to mid-3rd century buckle-plates to leather.  But they can also be used for any other leather-work.

Nothing like that appears on armor finds - see the comprehensive catalogues by Bishop and Thomas or any other works I know.  All lorica segmentata parts are quite well known.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity