Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Barbarous copy of Julius Caesar Dupondius?  (Read 908 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Barbarous copy of Julius Caesar Dupondius?
« on: October 05, 2022, 06:16:18 am »
This coin is obviously based on a Julius Caesar 1st Century BC Dupondius.
However, the size and style remind of a 4th century barbarous. The weight and size are smaller than the Dupondius. This is actually 3.2gr 17.9-18.8mm
Obv. CAESAR [•] DICTER, winged and draped bust of Victory right, star (5 dots in a rosette form) behind.  Within beaded circle.
Rev. Minerva advancing to left, [holding trophy over shoulder] and spears and shield; at feet to left, snake gliding left with head erect, C•CLOVLI downwards in left field, PR[AEF] upwards in right field. Within beaded circle.
I can’t find any records of this coin.  There is very little wear from use.  A worn die appears to account for missing features on the reverse. The slight pitting has shown in the photo and isn’t really apparent in the hand. Has anyone encountered this before?  I do not have any provence for this.  3.2gr 17.9-18.8mm axis 4hr Thanks

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Barbarous copy of Julius Caesar Dupondius?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 07:38:21 am »
Hi folks,

In a PM, Connect4 requested that I move this topic to the ID Help section. I assume that the request was made so that it would receive more "traffic".

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 07:42:17 am »
Hi folks,

There appears to be a raised rim on the obverse. This is not a good sign.

Meepzorp

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 08:29:31 am »
I would be amazed if this is really ancient.  It looks cast to me.

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 10:55:53 am »
Thanks for your comments.
This  looks intentionally naïve. I don't think it's contemporary barbarous piece especially as it looks cast
I haven't seen any similar on this forum.  The on-line auction vendor hasn't got any provence information.   

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 07:42:58 am »
Hopelessly modern.
Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity