Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Slavi ??????  (Read 755 times)

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
Slavi ??????
« on: January 20, 2022, 02:55:24 pm »
Hello

What do you think about his nation and what age is the from ?

Regards Waldemar

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Slavi ??????
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 06:03:12 pm »
The style is very odd for an ancient item.  I think it is a modern item - 18th-19th century.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 01:40:03 am »
hmm, actually there are no similar artifacts on the net for the Germanic-Slavic tribes, so it's hard to compare.
 , from the railway, those barbarians in this area in I-III and the confirmed VI century had a very developed metallurgy in this place / confirmed large numbers of smelting furnaces - dimmarks /.
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazowieckie_Centrum_Metalurgiczne
 I also found on the internet figures of Slavic idols found and then redrawn in the 19th century / found in another area /, where the one on the right seems stylistically similar to contemporary people from 11-12 centuries ago?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:42:13 am »
Possibly.  Hard to get a good impression of what those things really looked like from the line drawings.

To me the style looks like items I have seen in churches in Austria and Slovenia dating to the last few centuries.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Waldemar S

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 01:48:11 pm »
I chose a comparative example wrong and I have to apologize for this board with drawings , because it is mostly a forgery made in the 18th century by a German goldsmith . But if anyone is interested in it , he will find it on the net by typing idols or snowmen from Prillwitz .

Back to my figurine leaving aside the time of execution , from what periot the person in this figurine may be ? , what do you think about the beard, or maybe its an amulet ? , whether he was holding the flag in his left hand ? , a belt on the hips - maybe it woult be a marker of time ? my great rat  ;).

Would I even ask for your hypothetical suspicions about my unknowns  ?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity