Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

8- ray star nummus

(1/2) > >>

a:
Hi,

I shure this coin (11mm) is Byzantine nummus but I cannot ID the emperor and mint. The similar reverse (eight rayed star) listed in Harlan & Berk - Alexandria nummus of Heraclius. But in the obverse appears large "A" and not profiled bust. Please help me to Id this coin.

Thanks,
Explorer

vercingetorix:
The obverse bust right resembles to Anastasius, Justin I or Justinian I. Usually the nummus in this period is associated with a monogram reverse. I don't think it's Heraclius, but if you are sure about the Alexandria mint it must be Justinian I

a:
Thanks, vercingetorix

Do you know, why no one can ID definitely this coin. May be because it is unlisted one? What I need to do for make it listed?

Explorer

vercingetorix:
First of all you should check the main byzantine coins catalogues which are DOW (Dumbarton Oaks and the Whittemore collection) MIB (Moneta Imperii Byzantini) and BMC (British Museum Coins). If the coin is not listed here it is possible to be unique. Do you have any idea where the coin was found?

a:
Of course,

I find this coin in Ascalon (Israel).
I don't think anyone has all these catalogs in his private library (I have only Harlan & Berk reference book).

Explorer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version