Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Deutsches numismatisches Diskussionsforum

English translations of german numismatic words

<< < (2/2)

curtislclay:
Which does not however include einsetzen or eingesetzt!

With good reason, they're not usual German numismatic terms.

esnible:
I have had really good luck with dict.cc for translating German but sometimes it fails.  The quote is from Karl Pink, Die Muenzenpraegung der Ostkelten und Ihrer Nachbarn.  The 1974 reissue, page 47.

"nimbusartigem" is a rare compound word; Google only found it three times, once on www.numismatikforum.de and twice in very old books!  I had figured out "nimbus" was "nimbus" but I don't know how to search for -artigem.  Google Translate renders it as "like" but the online German-English dictionaries don't consider it a word.  (I don't know how to search for suffixes.)

I think I misunderstood "eingesetztem Pferdefuß".  I thought he was describing the fabric but he's talking about hats!  Pink illustrates a list of similar Larissa-style Eastern Celtic coins.  The list of types is "Mit Petasosreiter", ""Mit Helmschweifreiter", "Mit eingesetztem Pferdefuß".

I know from John Melville-Jone's _Dictionary of Ancient Greek Coins_ that a Petasos is the kind of helmet that Hermes wore.

areich:
'Nimbusartigem' is Dativ, the Nominativ would be 'nimbusartig', where '-artig' means like.
Artig by itself means something like 'well-behaved' used primarily for children and pets.

I don't think 'eingesetzter Pferdefuß' has anything to do with hats, apart from the regular meaning of 'Pferdefuß'
the only other I am aware of is 'a catch', like 'this sounds too good, where's the catch?'.
This is because the devil has a horse's foot. 

I don't think 'eingesetzter Pferdefuß' means anything exotic, but what you translated earlier, 'inserted horse's foot',
I assume it makes sense if you see the coin in question.

Yes, I see how 'inserted horse's leg' makes sense for this coin:

[Broken Image Link Removed by ADMIN]

Andreas

Joe Sermarini:
The Numiswiki page for German numismatic terms and abbreviations has made good progress.  Basically, every time I look up a word that is not on the page, I add it to the page.  Please contribute.  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Numismatic German

Matthew W2:
Hm, I didn't realize this about 'nimbus' (see the meaning in relation to classical art in the Encyclopedia entry at the bottom of the page) - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nimbus

There might be a better way to render it in English then, based on what is depicted on the coin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version