Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Agrippa Countermark: TI AV or TIN  (Read 799 times)

Offline Bogdan O

• Praetorian
  • N00b Numismatist
    • This Ancient Coin
Agrippa Countermark: TI AV or TIN
« on: October 22, 2021, 12:39:00 am »
I picked up this Agrippa counter mark. Now I know that the common interpretation of this would be TI AV for Tiberius AVG. But all the examples that I've seen have the AV look more like  :AV:. To me this looks a lot more like an N, and the only other example that I found where it looks like an N is in an old post on this forum: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=86907.msg542236#msg542236

Is it just a different style, a barbarian counter mark, or a different type of countermark?

And is there a consensus on whether a countermark adds or subtracts from a coin's value?

Thanks for the help!
DIVO VALERIANO OPTIMO

This Ancient Coin

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Agrippa Countermark: TI AV or TIN
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 01:45:53 am »
Hi BO,

In this case, I think that the countermark would add to the coin's value. It appears to be sharp, clear, and deep.

Meepzorp

Offline Bogdan O

• Praetorian
  • N00b Numismatist
    • This Ancient Coin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 01:52:15 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on October 22, 2021, 01:45:53 am
Hi BO,

In this case, I think that the countermark would add to the coin's value. It appears to be sharp, clear, and deep.

Meepzorp
Thank you, that's good to know.

Any thoughts on the TI AV vs TIN?
DIVO VALERIANO OPTIMO

This Ancient Coin

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 11:52:25 pm »
Countermarks, on Julio-Claudian coinage, were applied to coins that had lost sufficient weight and definition so as to raise concerns about acceptability.  So almost all countermarked specimens are lower "grade" in collecting terms.  As the countermarked coins are relatively less common than the unmarked coins with simikar heavy wear, the countermark is a "plus" in terms of collecting.  Of course,  some countermarked coins were immediately lost and avoided further wear and retain crisp countermarks, and some carried out their function for decades to come, and were often much more worn, re-marked and re-valued.  So a crisp countermark on a worn specimen is a collecting plus. 
That being said,  there are both ancient and modern fake countermarks.  It is usually a rudimentary punch mark, easily imitated.  The leading article is still, I believe,  TV Buttrey, in the ANS Museum Notes, 1970, available online.  It is at least a good place to start. 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Bogdan O

• Praetorian
  • N00b Numismatist
    • This Ancient Coin
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 12:16:27 pm »
The leading article is still, I believe,  TV Buttrey, in the ANS Museum Notes, 1970, available online.  It is at least a good place to start.

Found it: https://www.jstor.org/stable/43574030

Interesting read. Thank you for pointing me to it. I had not realized how much there was to countermarking. That said, I'm still looking for some clarification on the lettering on this particular specimen.

DIVO VALERIANO OPTIMO

This Ancient Coin

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 07:22:52 pm »
I suggest comparing it to photos. ( I am not good at opinions with these size images on my tablet and am not a countermark expert. )  Here's a photo site, which may be linked elsewhere in Forum's resources. http://www.romancoins.info/Countermarks-start.html
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Bogdan O

• Praetorian
  • N00b Numismatist
    • This Ancient Coin
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 08:24:18 pm »
I suggest comparing it to photos. ( I am not good at opinions with these size images on my tablet and am not a countermark expert. )  Here's a photo site, which may be linked elsewhere in Forum's resources. http://www.romancoins.info/Countermarks-start.html

I appreciate the pointer. Was not familiar with that resource. After looking thru the examples there I am satisfied that this must be a slightly different style or imitation of TI AV as I have not found any mention anywhere of a TIN, nor does it seem like it makes sense that there would have been one.
DIVO VALERIANO OPTIMO

This Ancient Coin

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 09:48:12 am »
I also think it is a TIAV with the last two letters in ligature.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity