Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

A Crook gets Some Justice

(1/2) > >>

PMah:
Another crook in the business of ancient things.  Most people and dealers are honest, but crooks get better with practice.   This fellow seems to have been around for a while.  There were a lot of "red flags".  And thousands of fakes. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/13/arts/design/fake-antiquities-mehrdad-sadigh.html

Jay GT4:
No jail time...

PMah:
True.  Part of my read is that victims were reluctant to testify, probably because some were perceived as "experts " and would not want the negative exposure, and wealthy people often walk away from losses rather than sink more time=money into the situation.   Also, fraud is a middle-aged person's crime, as you need the veneer of credibility and experience to be successful.   But, if not caught, it is also a record of a law-abiding life, "except for that one thing...."
  Also, the Manhattan DA office will turn over at year end and that usually prompts some resolution of cases.

I missed this one in Federal Court a few days ago.  https://observer.com/2021/10/antiquities-dealer-nancy-wiener-has-pled-guilty-to-charges-of-conspiracy/

SC:
One would hope that all his victims demand their money back and/or sue him and he is forced into bankruptcy.

But alas, karma is much lacking these days.....

SC

PMah:
I will inquire if the DA has a record of what these items were.  The prosecuting assistant DA is very experienced and led the Iraq National Museum recovery efforts as a military lawyer, so I think such opportunities were likely explored.  This scam seems to have been going on for a while, so the defendant probably barely remembers all the fakes.  Business crooks are very good at forgetting, in part because the stress of waking up every morning and saying, "I am going to spend the day committing crimes that could send me to prison," is actually very difficult to handle.  So, they are just "doing business", and what successful businessperson remembers every sale?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version