Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman provincial - Antoninus riding horse?  (Read 415 times)

Dave S3

Roman provincial - Antoninus riding horse?
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:31:47 pm »
This is a pretty average coin, the aspect that has be particularly curious is what is the horse rider holding? It does not look like a spear, at a guess I'd say potted plant!

I am fairly sure it is Antoninus Pius or Marcus Aurelius, although I have not seen this portrait style for either of them; strong facial lines and a large nose; I'd have guessed Nerva on the portrait. Very different to the other emperors who used "ANTΩNINOC" on their coins (Elagabalus and Caracalla). The first half of the inscription is unclear; at a guess I'd say "AVTHRYIPN", but the coin has heavy corrosion so that is indistinct. The right side is very clear however, it certainly says ANTΩNINOC.

The reverse depicts a man wearing an odd helmet (Phyrigian?) walking his horse right. Much of the inscription is indistinct, possibly it says "???NTHNΩN", there looks to be a magistrate name under the horse, but it is entirely indistinct. The horse rider seems to have a potted plant in his right hand, held in his lap, and his right hand is holding the reins.

The coin is 19mm wide and weighs 3.8g.

Any help is appreciated!

regards
David

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery

Dave S3

Re: Roman provincial - Antoninus riding horse?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 05:32:52 am »
Thank you Ralf! Very much appreciated.

regards
Dave

All coins are guaranteed for eternity