Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Any books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?
« on: September 23, 2021, 08:01:20 pm »
Does anyone know of a book that deals with of focuses on coins of Afghanisan that includes the non-Greek coinage? Ideally, I would like both covered. I did a search and didn't come up with anything that looked like it fit the bill. I am interested in ancient and medieval as opposed to modern coinage.

Thank you,
Virgil

Online Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: AAnt books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:11:44 pm »

You can find some books in Numiswiki by searching "Afghanistan"

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/search.asp
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Any books on Afghanistan Ancient/Medieval Coins?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 10:04:16 pm »
Thank Victor, didn't think of that.

Virgil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 05:34:00 pm »
Afghanistan was often part of a larger polity so its coinage is often found in works that are not concentrated solely on Afghanistan - for example works on Bactrian, Mauryan, Kushan, Hephthalite, Ghaznavid and Ghorid coinage. 

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 07:37:43 pm »
Thanks, Shawn, that makes total sense. Since I was in Ghazni, one of most interest to me is the Ghaznavid dynasty that I know of, but know little about. Everything I have found concentrates on Indo-Greeks and then much less on Kushans. I believe the coin I got is very much related to the Kushans, as well as some Hunnic coinage, perhaps. This is a new area for me, have read a lot of history about the graveyard of empires and have even seen British graveyards overgrown and now (in 2011, in any case) grazed by goats and sheep (I even wrote a poem about this particular topic). I will look for some of these more specific topics. And I am still waiting for your book, hopefully it will be released in October like they said it would after shifting the US release. I am really looking forward to it as I have opened up some new interests in late Roman coinage.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 08:54:40 am »
Virgil,

Unfortunately I don’t know of any good books dedicated to Ghaznavid coinage.

Mitchiner’s large and expensive The World of Islam covers a few Ghaznavid coins. 

Michael Broome’s A Handbook of Islamic Coins (Spink) is a good book to get.  It is not a catalogue but a general guide covering Islamic coins from the beginning to the 20th century in just over 200 pages.  And it is softcover and relatively cheap. The first four pages of Chapter 3 - Invasion from the East - are dedicated to the Ghaznavids.  Plus it briefly covers Samanid and Qarakhanid coinage, which are often found in northern Afghanistan. 

For my very few Ghaznavid coins I used a couple of collection websites:

The Ghaznavid page of COININDIA
http://coinindia.com/galleries-ghaznavid.html

and Numista
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/ghaznavid_dynasty-1.html

to get the general identification and then confirmed/refined identification through Zeno.ru

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 01:00:23 pm »
Virgil,

There is of course Stephen Album's Checklist of Islamic Coins.

I can't offer much assistance with respect to the Ghaznavids (I only have one coin). However, I have a gallery that includes Jitals from the Shahis, issued in parts of Afghanistan and Northern India. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4062
Robert Tye's book may be of assistance.

Stkp

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 09:48:14 am »
Yes, Album's book is good for the history and structure, and is available from his website as a download for free.

But it is unillustrated and so not good for identification purposes.

I have two Ghaznavid AR "gaming" dirhams - which were struck by massed and several other governors.  However, even using zeno.ru I have never been able to find an absolute match or even narrow down to the right governor.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity