Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with markings on a Justin I  (Read 818 times)

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
Help with markings on a Justin I
« on: September 08, 2021, 09:02:23 pm »
Do you know know the meaning of the 2 stars on the reverse?
It looks like an officina mark below the M.  What is the mark and what does it mean?
13.25g, 28.6mm
BCV 83

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
Re: Help with markings on a Justin I
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 09:03:20 pm »
Here's the coin.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 09:29:55 pm »
Below the M is the officina mark  :A3: -- which is just a fancy way of writing  :Greek_Alpha:

Nobody really knows for certain what these mean.  Some have suggested that they designate different "workshops" within the mint

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 07:53:09 am »
They were likely issue marks - like the different letters and symbols found in the fields of late Roman (4th century) coins.  Not meant to be understood by the public but allowed mint and state accounting and control.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 04:26:15 pm »
 :A3: is Greek numeral 1 and refers to the first officina (workshop) in the mint of Constantinope, which had five workshops, marked on coinage  :A3:  :Greek_Beta:  :Greek_Gamma:  :Greek_Delta:  :Greek_epsilon:
The stars are what numismatists call "privy marks" used by mint officials to distinguish between different series. W. Hahn has used these to date the coinage more precisely (Moneta Imperii Byzantini reference catalogue). On the coinage of Justin I and Justinian I we see most commonly a combination of stars and crosses on the reverse.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity