Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Byzantine Coins Discussion Forum

anonymous folles

(1/3) > >>

Basil:
Hi experts,
the existence of anonymous concave / convex shaped folles cannot yet be fully explained. I myself have been dealing with this topic for many years and now have around 30 copies in classes A1 to K. I'm currently looking for more examples on this topic. Perhaps one of you also owns one or more pieces. If this is possible, I would be very grateful for further information such as metrological data and images.
Regards Basil

Byzantofil:
Here it is concaved coin from the Pushkin State Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow.

Basil:
Thank you Byzantofil,
A new copy from the same era that I hadn't seen before. How did you find that?
Thanks again
Basil

Byzantofil:
This is a photo from the Pushkin Museum Byzantine coins collection catalog mentioned above.  Recently caught my eye.

Simon:
After a cross over period the old money was no longer legal tender. These coins were illegally concaved to pass as trachea, I have a follis or two that was cut to tetarteron size just to pass as legal currency.

The follis was the equivalent to a cosmopolitan tetarteron ( small silver content 2-4%)  , that exchange around 3 or 4 to one billion trachy. The billion trachy only had up to 8% silver in it and most of that disappeared as it began to circulate, it would have been difficult to tell the difference of the imitation vs a circulated billion trachy ( At a glance.).
The billion trachy also only circulated i the city and Asia minor , not Greece so depending on where the original owner was it determined why he chose to imitate a trachy. He was also increasing the value of his coin.

Simon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version