Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification Help re French Feudal?  (Read 353 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Identification Help re French Feudal?
« on: July 29, 2021, 07:21:58 am »
I went to my first coin show since the start of the pandemic. Although it was a very small local show with only one dealer who had any inventory within my various interests, it was nice to be back, handling coins, etc.

I purchased the attached coin, which was labeled by the dealer as "French Feudal." It does, to me, look like it is probably a French feudal issue, but I am not able to get a lead on it through Roberts' book on French royal and feudal silver coins. Any assistance would be appreciated.

The legends should be mostly legible, but given the difficulty of deciphering medieval lettering, it certainly helps to have a general idea what the legends might say.

On the side that I believe to be the obverse (with the central cross), it looks like + [A or H or N or R]IVIO...IS.

I am not certain of the orientation of the reverse. The device appears to be a double crozier with some other symbols. The legend may be + V[C or G]O...R...LIE.

Stkp

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Identification Help re French Feudal?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 08:30:18 am »

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 08:51:17 pm »
That was quick! Thank you, Pekka, for the lead.

It is definitely Burgundian, from the Dijon mint, but not a match to the coin in the link. This one was issued by Dukes Hugh III and Hugh IV (1162-1192) and (1218-1272).

Stkp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 03:38:06 am »
Hi Stkp,

I recognized the type right away. I have an example of France, Burgundy, Hugh V.

Here is my coin (second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/med_france.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 07:51:12 am »
Yours is a nice coin, Meepzorp.

I have now completed my attribution and posted the coin to my gallery:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=171429

All coins are guaranteed for eternity