Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID for Small Knife, please  (Read 986 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
ID for Small Knife, please
« on: July 12, 2021, 12:50:28 pm »
Ave!

Copper alloy; 76mm/6.4gm

Roman, maybe? Use?

Help!
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID for Small Knife, please
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 05:29:04 pm »
No, Roman weapons were almost exclusively iron.

This is far far older.

Hard to tell from the broken end whether it was dagger or spearhead.  But the twin edge flanges ensure it is old - Bronze Age but I can't be more precise.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Online Kamnaskires

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 05:48:41 pm »
For comparison to Petrie XXXV:124. The illustration has rivet holes, which the OP dagger doesn't. But the profile and raised ridges/flanges along the shortened tang seem more or less consistent, as is the squared-off profile of the tang - although the transition from the shoulders to the flanges is a bit straighter on the OP, and slightly concave on the illustration.

Sadly, I've never been able to figure out exactly how to use Petrie for attribution. In both the text (chapters) and the lists of "System(s) of Types, with References to Plates and Pages," he seems to provide information for only a selection of figures from the plates. Sometimes I have been lucky enough where there was a specific reference in the text or "System of Types" to a particular specimen I was studying.

But, in an example like this - Plate XXXV (tanged, copper/bronze daggers), Figure 124 - I can find no information, beyond the illustration, that may help with attribution. No cross-reference to info about location of manufacture (although the "Laibach" under the image must allude that that) or to size or dating. Perhaps the info is buried somewhere in the book, but I'm not seeing it. I don't quite understand why info for a number of specimens is provided, but then for others there is nothing - or so it seems to me. So frustrating. I must be just missing something. I'd appreciate a CliffsNotes version of a user guide for Petrie.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 01:29:39 pm »
Ave Shawn and Robert!

Thank you both!  +++ +++ +++

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 02:43:12 pm »
The OPs blade could well be hoped for rivets, if the rivets broke or corroded flush, they would be difficult to make out.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 05:19:27 pm »
Laibach, from Petrie, is the name of Ljubljana, Slovenia when it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

The items with flanged handles there appear to be LBA in period.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity