Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Your advice needed for cutting and cropping coins  (Read 61822 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Your advice needed for cutting and cropping coins
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2007, 01:13:54 am »
This whole idea (deep bottomed white dish) prompted me to test it out and it works great.  I used a cylindrical translucent CD stack container cover with a white piece of paper in the bottom and a translucent plastic top to sit the coin about 4" over the white paper.  one light (compact flourescent) from above and a 2nd one that lights up only the white paper below (makes for a very bright white background) and that doesn't aim at the coin at all.  this makes for some nice photos solid white background with zero shadow and very good fidelity to the coin's actual color.  I'm gonna stick with it.  easy setup to use with my copy stand and Canon S50 'computer controlled' still cam.  nice going and thanks for the tips.

ptolemy

Offline Dan S II

• Legionary
Re: Your advice needed for cutting and cropping coins
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2020, 10:24:29 pm »
This is an enormously helpful thread. I had no idea what I was signing up for thinking I could take pictures of my coins and share them.  I absolutely hate the pictures on the websites that coins are sold on and I prefer my fuzzy pictures over the magazine ones.

The modern means of sharing an ancient coin collection really is a photography hobby.

Thanks again for the pointers. 
Festina lente

All coins are guaranteed for eternity