Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pleiades Ancient World Mapping  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Virgil H

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Pleiades Ancient World Mapping
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:00:05 pm »
I just found this subforum and see it doesn't get a lot of action. I love maps in all forms. I think this will be of interest to many ancient coin collectors. I corrected one of their entries once when I tried to find a Cybele temple in Turkey I had visited and the Pleiades entry was off by a kilometer or so. It is a volunteer effort, mostly at universities, but all are welcome. From their website:

Pleiades is a community-built gazetteer and graph of ancient places. It publishes authoritative information about ancient places and spaces, providing unique services for finding, displaying, and reusing that information under open license. It publishes not just for individual human users, but also for search engines and for the widening array of computational research and visualization tools that support humanities teaching and research.

https://pleiades.stoa.org/

Here is a link to their entry on Skepsis I looked up after attributing a coin I have to this place. It just adds to the enjoyment, even though I have actually been past Skepsis before, although at the time I didn't know it.

https://pleiades.stoa.org/places/550890

I can get lost in this site. Not about coins, just places.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity