Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina Sr., obverse mismatch?  (Read 358 times)

Offline Cináed

• Legionary
Faustina Sr., obverse mismatch?
« on: July 01, 2021, 12:32:40 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first post so allow me to introduce myself. I`m from Norway and have during the COVID pandemic had enough time to finally take up collecting ancient coins again. I originally started to collect Roman and Byzantine coins back when I was a student in the early 2000s, but after that work, marriage and life in general came in the way and my collection dusted away in a binder in my bookshelf. With enough time on my hands and being bored at home I decided to sort through it and it rekindled my interest.

Anyways, I recently acquired this Faustina Sr. Denarius and struggle to attribute it. The reverse seems to be RSC 104 (RIC 362) like this one (https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear5/s4584.html#RIC_0362), but the obverse is different and I can`t seem to find this combination anywhere?

Here`s the coin in question:

Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA, draped bust right
Rev: AVGVSTA, Ceres, veiled, standing left, holding torch and folds of drapery

Diameter: 22mm
Weight: 3g

Offline Cináed

• Legionary
Re: Faustina Sr., obverse mismatch?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 12:41:23 pm »
Did I actually manage to upload the pictures of the coin here or not?

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 12:51:33 pm »

Offline Cináed

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 01:18:25 pm »

This is maybe near enough?

https://www.kenom.de/objekt/record_DE-MUS-062622_kenom_153095/1/

Pekka K

Thank you neighbour  +++ (I assume you must be Finnish, given your username?)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity