Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: C. Marius Capito control marks  (Read 325 times)

Offline Paul M4

• Legionary
C. Marius Capito control marks
« on: June 28, 2021, 03:41:36 pm »
Has anyone done a simple study of the variety of control marks used on the denarii serrati of Caius Marius Capito (Husbandman with yoke of oxen ploughing, Crawf. 378). I have seen a number of wonderful control marks on this type including sub-categories of weapons, musical instruments and even sea creatures like eels, lobster and jellyfish. A list of the marks or any patterns that have emerged in the numbering would really interest me.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: C. Marius Capito control marks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 10:24:37 am »
Crawford himself lists all control marks known to him and explains the system of their application, pp. 392-5.

I don't know whether this information is available online.
Curtis Clay

Offline Paul M4

• Legionary
Re: C. Marius Capito control marks
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 11:58:54 am »
Thank you I will try and find that. In the meantime I have enjoyed trawling through physical and online catalogues and making my own spreadsheet.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity