Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: nummus or follis?  (Read 3502 times)

vanter

nummus or follis?
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:18:15 pm »
This coin is nummus or follis, I ask because is very complicate know the diference of Follis, Nummus, Centenionalis because for same coin is possible find with description Nummus, other with Centenional and others with Follis, so What´s right ?

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: nummus or follis?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »
I prefer nummus but that is just a way of saying 'coin' since we do not know what the coins were called in their day.  Many use follis but others save that for the larger coins and later Byzantine big copper.  More collectors prefer to use the size scale for late Roman Bronzes ranging from AE1 for large ones to AE4 for the small.  The types you show tend to be around 18mm and classify as AE3.  That system, at least, does not pretend to be more correct than it can be.

AE1 = over 25mm (Valentinian I); AE2 = 21-25mm (Honorius); AE3 = 17-21mm (Arcadius); AE4 = under 17mm (Theodosius I).

There is a US cent under the AE3 for size comparison.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: nummus or follis?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:03:56 pm »
Follis is certainly wrong - this was the Roman name for a *bag* of coins of value 12,5000 "denarii communes" (i.e. denarii at a time when it was just an accounting unit, no longer an actual coin denomination). I'm not sure who introduced the incorrect modern usage of this name.

The name nummus is probably the best. There are contemporary references to this name being used for the bronze/billion coinage at the time of Diocletian's monetary reform, and the same name appears to have still been in use at least as late as c.321AD per reference to this coin's (nummus) value being halved, apparently in reference to a revaluation that occurred at the time Licinius introduced new coins marked "12 1/2" [denarii communes].

The issue of denominations/naming is complicated by Constantine's coinage reform of c.318AD when (per modern testing) he significantly increased the silver content of the bronze/billion coinage (from 1-2% to 4-5%), and reintroduced older reverse types associated with a higher yet (20%) silver content. Presumably per the increased silver content (and intended value association), this coinage reform increased the value (tariffing) of the bronze/billion coinage, and the question then becomes whether the denomination name stayed the same (nummus), or changed.

Given the apparently (c.321AD) post-reform use of the name nummus, it seems the safest guess is that the name nummus persisted after Constantine's c.318AD reform, but others have suggested that the denomination name changed and have equated this to the known "centenionalis" of this approximate time. The competing theory is that the "centenionalis" instead refers to a slightly later denomination introduced after Constantine's death.

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity