Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "Coins in Collections: Care and Use" by Jonathan Jarrett  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Kairos Numismatics

• Praetorian
"Coins in Collections: Care and Use" by Jonathan Jarrett
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:07:59 am »
Did anybody read this book? Many thanks for any comments.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: "Coins in Collections: Care and Use" by Jonathan Jarrett
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:16 am »
Did anybody read this book? Many thanks for any comments.

Since I cite it often on list, I certainly read it. It's the best book on coin care that I know of. Many of its recommendations are not always practical for coin collectors but it's good to know the advice anyway. As a couple of examples I was not aware of:
- wool-based felt destroys coin surfaces over time and many coin cabinets use it. Satin/silk or artificial equivalents are safer
- ideally one should place a transparent acrylic sheet between a coin and its ticket
- trays with removable coin boxes are ideal as they allow a coin to be removed from a tray for study and still remain with its ticket, all without having to handle the coin until you actually want to study it
- weigh to 1/100g all your coins and record the weight on the ticket or flip. That way, when you drop a few coins you can put them back right
- find some way to keep original invoices physically close to the related coins because once separated they can be tough to re-associate. For example if you keep your coins in binders then for each binder keep some transparent sleeves with the documents for the coins in that binder.

And so on. It's a small booklet but well worth getting, even if it only leaves you with sense of shame regarding how badly you mistreat your preciouses.

Offline Kairos Numismatics

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:01 am »
Thank you Andrew! Does it have some illustrations?

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 09:46:48 am »
ideally one should place a transparent acrylic sheet between a coin and its ticket

This is a new one to me ..is there an elaboration on this?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 01:23:58 pm »
To minimize wear that can happen even from a piece of paper whenever the coin  is moved. Over the years apparently this wear can be significant. I have seen these pieces of plastic but not found them for sale anywhere yet.
Andreas Reich

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:28:04 pm »
Thank you Andrew! Does it have some illustrations?

There are loads of pictures. It's just a small handbook, maybe 32 or 48 pages, but a lot to learn.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity