Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Magistrate help with Rhodian drachm, please  (Read 1034 times)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Magistrate help with Rhodian drachm, please
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:43:29 am »
Morning all. I got this worn and off centered drachm from Areich's FORVM auctions (thanks again!) and know where it's from, who is on it, and what is suppose to be there, but the problem is, where the magistrates name is normally (above the rose in the incuse) happens to be off flan. I figured no big deal, from what I could tell from attempting id is that there are other ways of matching. Some have a rising sun in the bottom left of the incuse...some have it on the right. Some have an apulstre in the left, some have the headdress of Isis on the right...anyway, you get the picture. My problem is trying to figure out what the symbols on mine are! lol They are not worn (they were partially encrusted, which I have rectified), but I just cannot make out a discernable symbol! Any help would be great!

Chris

14mm 1.99g (it's a little light as well, but the right size)
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Magistrate help with Rhodian drachm, please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 11:00:52 am »

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:51:51 am »

This looks IMO close to Yours:

http://www.asiaminorcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=393

Pekka K

That does look to be it. PO and stalks. Good deal. Thanks! :)

Chris

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:13:16 pm »
Chris,

I am particularly interested in the series, searching through my archive of images, through the important Carian collection
of Erich Karl's sold by Lanz, and SNG Finland, i found no symbol similar to yours, however i don't have in hand probably the most important reference
for these, which is the Jenkins, Rhodian Plinthophoroi, in: Essays Kray- Mørkholm

I am trying hard to find this reference, any help is highly appreciated.

It is probably a ''badly" rendered Headdress of Isis as Pekka suggested (there is a Headdress of Isis on the example Pekka posted, just under the ''Ο'' on right field, but it is not mentioned on the description)
however don't hurry to guess that magistrate ΜΑΗΣ is the magistrate of your coin.

Even if we accept the Headdress of Isis as the symbol of your example, there are coins out there sharing the same symbol
under different magistrate names.

Here for example , is a coin with a Headdress of Isis to the right, but this time the magistrate is ΕΥΦΑΝΗΣ.
There are probably more magistates under the same symbol, this is very usual on the series, but as i have said before i dont have in hand the major reference to check.

I am afraid we will never be able to identify your piece with absolute certainty. The lack of the magistrate's name is unfortunately crucial.

Best regards

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:41:20 pm »
lol...well thanks for runing my day, rover!  :P

Yeah, I see what you mean. Ah well I guess it will be forever a "similar to" attribution. I really appreciate the info. :)

Chris

All coins are guaranteed for eternity