Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Altar type at Cyzicus  (Read 1083 times)

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Altar type at Cyzicus
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:50:55 pm »
I recently acquired a bronze of Trajan from Cyzicus which seems to depict an altar enclosure on the reverse, with closed door, surmounted by a statue of a figure in a dragon-powered biga (conjectured by the seller to be Triptolemos--probably on the basis of the hekte reproduced below; Demeter with her torches in the same vehicle is also very possible as she frequently appears on such reverses).  There are several similar but not identical reverses with an altar structure topped with statuary, all apparently connected with Demeter.  Price & Trell (I have lost my copy) apparently (p. 109ff.) regard these not as permanent buildings, but temporary cult constructions for the celebration of the mysteries of Demeter and Kore (and I suppose dismantled after the conclusion of the festival) with a false, non-functioning doorway.  The coins would have been distributed during the course of the festivities.

I include another coinof mine depicting an altar, from Parium, with a similar grouping of statuary at the top; perhaps the Cyzicus types could throw some light on what they actually depict.

Trajan, Cyzicus, AE28 (14.35g).  Not in the major references.
Laureate bust right
AVT NE_R TRAIANOC KAICAR CEB GER DAK

Altar surmounted by statue of dragon biga left, the top of  the altar decorated with grape clusters and bucrania (??), flanked by two serpent entwined torches
EPI IOVL GLAVKOV CTR KVZIKH

I would, as always, appreciate any comments on this.  I would have written more, but I have started and lost this post four times already, and am ready to settle for this before I lose it for the fifth time.  Thanks, George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Altar type at Cyzicus
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:07:16 pm »
I'll be shortly sending you some pages from Price & Trell, Coins & Their Cities which I think will help you.

Steve

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:23:00 am »
Indeed they did!  Your generosity in sharing the fruits of your library is certainly appreciated.  You are forgiven for regularly outbidding me at the last minute in the past!  But cursed be he who stole my book!  George
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:56:24 am »
There seems to be no mention in Price & Trell of the temporary nature of these structures, but quite the reverse; this seems to be the invention of the cataloger of the German auction house from which I got the example in CoinArchives.  They are clearly not simple altars, but much more interesting manifestations of the mystery cults of Cyzicus!  George S.
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:24:45 am »
"I would have written more, but I have started and lost this post four times already, and am ready to settle for this before I lose it for the fifth time"

Hi George,

If I know that my post is going to be long (especially if there are pictures to attach) I tend to write it in Word first (I need the spell checker anyway) - then just cut and paste.

Malcolm

All coins are guaranteed for eternity