Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An interesting antoninianus of Hostilian  (Read 9069 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
An interesting antoninianus of Hostilian
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:16:23 pm »
Late in the reign of Trajan Decius and early in that of Trebonianus Gallus, the Roman government evidently attempted to restrike all of the old denarii in circulation, primarily of the emperors from Septimius Severus to Gordian III, into antoniniani, so doubling their value with one blow of the hammer. 

This action, as I have argued elsewhere, was clearly the occasion for the production of antoniniani of the Divi, consecrated emperors from Augustus to Severus Alexander, as a sort of restoration of their coins that were being restruck into antoniniani, since some of the Divi antoniniani themselves were also struck over earlier denarii, obviously as part of the same restriking, and since Divi obverses sometimes occur combined with reverse types of Decius and Gallus on mint mules, showing that this series too must have been produced in 251, at the same time as the restriking of old denarii.

We owe our knowledge of these overstrikes primarily to Mattingly's publication of the Dorchester Hoard in Num. Chron. 1939, pp. 41-46.  A few such overstrikes had been observed before, but in this single hoard Mattingly found no fewer than 25 of them with more or less identifiable undertypes, of the following emperors:

9 of Trajan Decius, with obv. legends IMP C M Q TRAIANVS AVG, IMP CAE TRA DECIVS AVG, or IMP CAE TRA DEC AVG.  The CMQ legend was the second and main legend of the reign, while the two shorter legends were the latest of the reign.

3 of Herennia Etruscilla.  The only one illustrated, pl. III, 12, has, as we would expect, the later form of the empress' coiffure, with the hair in ridges rather than smooth.

3 of Herennius Etruscus as Caesar, and 1 of Etruscus as Augustus, a title he assumed only at the very end of Decius' reign.

4 of Hostilian as Caesar, 3 with VALENS HOSTIL in the obv. legend, 1 with the shorter and probably later VAL HOS.

3 of Trebonianus Gallus.

1 of Volusian as Augustus.

1 DIVO AVGVSTO / CONSECRATIO antoninianus.

I bought the antoninianus of Hostilian shown below because it was obviously an overstrike on a denarius of Septimius Severus, perhaps one with obv. L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP X or L SEPT SEV AVG IMP XI PART MAX and rev. MARTI VICTORI, like the Wildwinds coin shown below. 

On Hostilian's rev., one sees the laurel wreath and curly hair of the top of Septimius' portrait upside down in the exergue, two points of Septimius' beard emerge faintly above Apollo's extended r. arm, and the truncation of Septimius' bust is seen faintly in front of Apollo's neck and face.  Below the NC of Hostilian's legend PRINCIPI, there may be traces of an M from the original obv. legend, either the M in IMP X or that in MAX.

On Hostilian's obverse, upside down on the cheek and neck of his portrait, we see the head and chest of a male god standing r., the chest bare and the right upper arm extending downwards.  In the field before Hostilian's forehead is the faint image of the oval shield held by Mars.

The weight of the coin is a surprising 4.05 gr.  That was an overweight denarius that happened to be gathered in for overstriking; the typical Severan denarius weighed between 2.5 and 3.5 gr.!

I got a real bonus when the coin arrived and I took a close look at the obv. legend: it appears to be of Hostilian as Augustus not as Caesar!  Here are the two obv. legends that come into question:

C VAL HOS MES QVINTVS N C

IMP CAE C VAL HOS MES QVINTVS AVG.

Unfortunately my coin is weak in precisely the two crucial spots, the beginning and end of the legend!  However, the letter after QVINTVS looks more like an A than an N, and, the decisive point, the legend clearly began well before the visible C VAL HOS at 9-12 o'clock.  If anything came before C VAL, it can only have been IMP CAE.  One sees the bottom of at least two letters before C VAL, though unfortunately I can't say they are definitely an A and an E; they look more like MC.

Antoniniani of Hostilian as Augustus are very rare; he was made Augustus by Gallus after the deaths of Decius and Etruscus, but apparently died himself soon thereafter.  RIC 189 describes an antoninianus of Hostilian as Augustus with the rev. type of my coin, but the only authority is Cohen 29, who cites a coin in the stock of the coin dealer Rollin.  No such coin was known to Richard Beale, who comments on his website that this rev. type was normal for Hostilian as Caesar, so it would probably be a mule if it really also occurs for Hostilian as Augustus.  Princeps Iuvventutis, "Prince of the Youth," was a title normally held by Caesars only, not by emperors.

According to RIC 180, this PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Apollo seated, rev. type of Hostilian as Caesar only occurs with a longer obv. legend naming him VALENS HOSTIL.  However, according to a note that I wrote into my RIC, the shorter VAL HOS obv. legend occurred with this rev. type on a coin overstruck on a denarius of Geta, shown on Forvm by HISPANORVM in May 2005.  Unfortunately that post has apparently been deleted from the database, and my printout of the image is in one of several stacks of hundreds of illustrations that still need to be cut out and integrated in my photofile.  I wonder whether HISPANORVM's coin might also actually have been of Hostilian as Augustus, not Caesar!

Another point of interest that I only noticed after my coin arrived: it seems to leave out the second T in the second word of the reverse legend, writing IVVENTVIS rather than the intended IVVENTVTIS.

Curtis Clay

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
Re: An interesting antoninianus of Hostilian
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 04:00:59 am »
Great find, Curtis.

a wounderfull coin, completes the subject of the discussion we had on this forum when I posted my Herennia Etruscilla

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=43450.msg273275#msg273275

I love this overstruck coins. Unfortunately they are not common.

Guy

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:24:27 pm »
Guy's coin too shows Herennia's later, ridged, coiffure, confirming that the restriking took place not at the beginning, but towards the end of Decius' reign.

I reproduce it here for comparison.  It too was overstruck on a denarius of Septimius Severus, apparently with rev. type Victory advancing left.

Curtis Clay

Offline Marius

• Consul
    • 249-253AD  Four Bad Years
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 02:42:12 am »
Curtis,
This really is an exciting find!  I spent a good deal of time studying your coin (I couldn't find an obverse die match but I will keep looking out for one) and I agree with you that it must be a coin as Augustus.  That makes it an extremely rare type.  I have never seen Hostilian as AVG with Principi reverse.  In my files I have the following reverse types:

Securitas (14)
Concordia (2)
Pietas (6)
Juno (1)

I've seen many more Securitas and Pietas coins that I don't have photos of - but I've never seen Apollo with Hostilian AVG

I think the period right at the end of Decius reign must have been the high point of the re-coinage because the coins of Herennius as Augustus seem to be overstrikes at a higher rate than any other emperor, and his reign as Augustus is extremely short and at the very end of Decius life.  Of course this is extremely close to the minting of Hostilian AVG.   Almost half of the Herennius AVG coins I have seen are overstrikes.  This is amazing considering that one would expect the majority of overstruck coins to be missing signs of the undertype (if most overstrikes showed the undertype then I would expect the mint would improve their methods - I am sure there was a desire to avoid these clashes).  Here are a few examples of Herennius AVG overstrikes:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=184484&AucID=239&Lot=336  (the overstrike is very clear on the obverse)

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=92191&AucID=99&Lot=1184

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=4236&AucID=7&Lot=1288  (you can see a nose, mouth, and chin in the reverse field).

Congratulations on a truly great find - it must have been such a wonderful surprise to make this discovery.

Best regards, Richard

Richard Marius Beale
Four Bad Years:  http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 02:27:17 pm »
Very interesting. Were the dies for these overstruck coins made smaller in order to fit the smaller flan size of the denarius?
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 09:28:59 pm »
Richard,

Thanks for the congratulations and your very interesting comments.  I hadn't realized, for example, that antoniniani of Etruscus as Augustus are frequently overstruck.  There was an overstruck specimen in the Dorchester Find, as Mattingly noted.

I see that PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS, Apollo seated, was primarily a type of Herennius Etruscus as Caesar rather than Hostilian as Caesar: so 36 such coins for Herennius in the Dorchester Hoard, but only two of Hostilian; 20 for Herennius in the Eauze Hoard, but none for Hostilian

The rather worn state of the rev. die on my coin would support the idea that it was an older die that had already been used to strike coins for either Herennius or Hostilian as Caesar and simply remained in use for Hostilian after he was made Augustus.  Maybe the same rev. die will eventually turn up on a coin of one of the Caesars; the omitted letter in the rev. legend should make it easy to identify!

I wonder if Vienna might have an RIC 189 of Hostilian as Augustus with this Apollo seated rev. type.  Their collection of your period of choice, 251-253, is probably the richest and most complete in the world.

Peter,

Interesting question, which hadn't occurred to me before. 

My impression is that antoninianus dies of normal size were used for the overstrikes.  The smaller denarius flans were expected to expand to antoninianus size from the pressure of restriking, and if that didn't quite happen, well, smaller antoniniani were OK too!

Curtis Clay

Offline Bonus Eventus

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 04:32:09 pm »
Just wanted to add the photo of my overstruck Trajan Decius antoninianus to this very interesting thread.

More details you can find here.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=51612.0

Offline Marius

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 05:41:55 pm »
Very nice!
Richard Marius Beale

Offline miro

• Legionary
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:05:59 pm »
VOLVSIANVS / IVNO MARTIALIS over SEVERVS / FVNDATOR PACIS

Offline Marius

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 12:41:22 am »
Here's a coin from the same time period which I think is the result of an overstrike.  It is Gallus with the reverse CONCORDIA EXERCITVS (There are no Gallus coins with this reverse).  It might be an overstruck denarius which didn't properly overstrike the EXERCITVS.  The coin is about 3 grams (denarius sized).  Gallus did issue a similar ant. with CONCORDIA AVGG that looks like this.
Richard Marius Beale

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:47:40 pm »
While we are on the subject of overstrikes, here is my favorite, and probably the closest I will ever get to a Pescennius Niger.  This overstrike probably had more to do with erasing the memory of the memory of the vanquished than increasing the value of the coin, though. 

Septimius Severus over Pescennius Niger bought from Forum
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Mark Z

• Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:21:16 pm »
When coins were overstruck, were they lightly heated or struck cold?

mz

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:08:57 am »
I'm sure I had posted this coin somewhere else (I thought it was on this thread, but apparently no). This coin of Hostilian as Augustus is an obverse die match of the original coin posted by Mr Clay at the top of the thread, with a Mercury (PIETAS) reverse. Richard, I believe I had already shown you my coin, but in case I hadn't, here it is.

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity