Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: a Pompeian denarius, imitation or official issue?  (Read 392 times)

Offline YuenTsin C

• Legionary
a Pompeian denarius, imitation or official issue?
« on: September 13, 2022, 08:06:55 am »
This is a controversial denarius acquired from a famous American auction house, it was previously auctioned in two European auction houses in 2019 and 2013, respectively.

According to auction house’s description, it’s a Celtic imitation of the denarius (Crawford 447/1a) issued circa 48 BC by military mint traveling with Pompey ‘the Great’ when he retreated to Greece after Julius Caesar crossed Rubicon river and marched towards Rome. Although it is quite confident about this and pointed out that the previous European auction houses ‘listed it erroneously as an official issue’, they did not mention the reasons for this conclusion.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: a Pompeian denarius, imitation or official issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 07:39:21 pm »
The reason for the conclusion is the generally rougher style and the garbled legend on reverse.  Note the backward "N".  I have an official example with correct legend in my Forum Gallery, here:  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=166939

Offline YuenTsin C

• Legionary
Re: a Pompeian denarius, imitation or official issue?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 03:25:19 am »
Thanks very much, I think the inverted 'N' is the key

All coins are guaranteed for eternity