Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Storage/display for 12 caesars  (Read 2184 times)

elsoar

Storage/display for 12 caesars
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:24:45 pm »
I am building a collection of the 12 caesars. I am looking for a storage case that I can use for my 2x2s.

Idealy the case would be made of steel or wood and have felt tray linings.

The smallest I could find on line is a 20 slot 2x2 by Lighthouse.

Thanks for the assistance,

-Greg

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Re: Storage/display for 12 caesars
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 08:40:32 am »
Greg,

Check out http://www.ihobb.com.  They have a lot of coin supplies including all sorts of trays and cases.  Look on the left sidebar under coin supplies.  I have the NoVa case which fits about 10 trays which you can purchase for different sized coins.  It's not metal or wood but I think this is probably safer.  A plastic cover slides over each try to protect the coins.  They just stack atop one another.

Steve

elsoar

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:55 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for the quick response and information. I will take a look at the web site.

Kind regards,

-Greg

Offline Soxfan

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:15:44 am »
Just recieved one of those trays and I am quite pleased. Fits my AE As very nicely, I only wish it came with some rubber feet, but I can pick those up somewhere..:)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 12:26:46 pm »
Just recieved one of those trays and I am quite pleased. Fits my AE As very nicely, I only wish it came with some rubber feet, but I can pick those up somewhere..:)

Sounds like a stop at a local hardware store should solve your minor problem.

So, did you get the NoVa trays?  I was thinking about getting these myself, so I'm very interested to read your "product review'.  I collect Denarii, so I am contemplating getting the Diameter in mm 22 (US 5cent piece size).  I see that the NoVa has a clear plastic lid.  How is the lid secured?  Is it airtight?

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 08:12:28 am »
Bud,

I have some NoVa trays where I keep some hemidrachms and other coins.  The plastic trays intrlock so they're nicely stackable.  The trays I have sport rows that are tilted at an angle which id nice.  I have two issues woth them.  Oe, the plastic trays aren't the nicest looking things you've ever seen.  Two the drawers don't slide all that freely.  I have to hold the stack in place when I open a drawer.

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:25:15 am »
I have two issues woth them.  One, the plastic trays aren't the nicest looking things you've ever seen.  Two the drawers don't slide all that freely.  I have to hold the stack in place when I open a drawer.

Thanks Dino,

You mention that that "the plastic trays aren't the nicest looking things you've ever seen", well I was thinking of purchasing:
http://www.ihobb.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=iHobb&Category_Code=EXQUISITECASES

But I am not sure that the "•Handmade solid wood with smoothly sanded edges in mahogany finish" will be safe for coins if I choose not to use capsules.  They don't mention the type of wood they use and I know some wood types are not recommended for long term coin storage.  I'm a bit confused to the possibilities.  I hope my FORVM mate forgive me for going down this road again, but I want to make the right decision.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 05:23:10 pm »
Bud-

Funny you should mention that.  I have some of those too.  lol.    I got the plastic ones to replace the wooden ones.  The wood is very thin.  One was so warped when it came that I had to return it.  The front wooden piece of another drawer fell off and had to be glued back on.  They look ok, but not fantastic.  I'll post spme pics in the next day or so with some closeups and you can decide based on what you see.

Offline Soxfan

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 05:23:46 pm »
I bought the wooden ones and I can say I pretty happy with it. They are stackable and look better sitting on my desk than a plastic one (in my opinion anyhow). Not sure of the wood, it isn't the be all best all, but I can say I am happy with mine...:)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »
The plastic ones are good and cheap but they don't look cheap, just practical. You can get the German version (Leuchtturm) new for around $11, especially the variants less popular (with Euro collectors).  ;D
Andreas Reich

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »
I agree with Andreas that the plastic ones don't look cheap.  They're not what you'd think of though for a display case in my opinion. 

The wooden ones look cheap.  Three pics below.  You can see the wrping on one of the boxes.  Every single one of them is a little warped.

You can also see that the stain is cheap, put on thinly, that the sides of the drawer covers aren't finished real well and that the stain is starting to fade, and that the stain is not so much mahoghany as it is oompah loompah orange.   ;)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 05:49:22 pm »
Here are three pics of the plastic ones.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I ordered a real mahogany coin cabinet from Craig McDonald in Texas.  I'll post pics once it gets here. 

http://cabinetsbycraig.net/

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »
Check out the LIGHTHOUSE coin cases.  They have some display ones.  If you are worried about the wood, but want a display case, I have seen that they have some that are glass topped but are made out of aluminum.  They look pretty nice.

EDIT-- Try this also http://www.goantiques.com/detail,aluminum-display-case,1382609.html

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »
Also have an option like this

http://www.goantiques.com/detail,display-case,1024455.html

This website has a lot of stuff to look at that may suit your needs.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity