Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Surely not...  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
Surely not...
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:43:10 am »
An article on the excavation of ancient Amheida:

http://www.livescience.com/history/090715-amheida-excavation.html

"The archaeologists at Amheida apply dental tools,Brasso metal polish and gentler chemicals to hundreds of Roman coins"

BRASSO!! Unbelievable.

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
Re: Surely not...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:33:01 pm »
That's just a bit cringe worthy.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:18:32 pm »
Can scientists actually be struck off for misconduct?  :(

Offline ecoli

• Caesar
  • Every coin is sacred, every coin is great.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 04:46:12 pm »
Patina is really only important for collectors

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:02:45 pm »
I suspect that the "archaeologists" were nothing more than over excited grad students, for the most part. Ah well.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:06 pm »
Patina protects metal and often, as we have described repeatedly in this Forvm, preserves fine detail.
Pat L.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 02:44:34 am »
Yes, Pat is correct.
So is ecoli.
We collectors recognize the value of patina. In my experience, few others do.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 05:37:34 pm »
It's a shame, you would think that even the amateur archaeologists would have some notion of Patina and its importance.  And for the senior archaeologists on the site, shame on them.  I feel that only those with intimate knowledge of Numismatics and its practices should be allowed to handle such finds.  Oh well, at least they didn't end up on the black market. 
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:50:49 pm »
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but could it be possible that sometimes it is inevitable to remove the patina totally only to recognize the letters correctly? And without removing the patina it is not possibe to attribute the coin correctly? So that sometimes we have a contradiction between science and aesthetics?

Curious to here your opinions!

Best regards
Jochen

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 09:39:35 pm »
At times, buried coins are found fused together or, more often, fused into accretion. Either way, separation is required and that would, indeed, necessitate the removal of patina in the process. This is not always the case, of course, but it often is and could account for some of the cleaning.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:15 pm »
My opinion is that some coins would need a good cleaning off of any encrustations to simply identify the coin right out of the ground.  Of course the cleaning of coins is an accepted and necessary practice, but its the extent of the cleaning that is the issue.  In most cases the patina preserves any detail left on the coin and over-cleaning would remove that detail, as the underlying metal would be too corroded to clearly identify the coin.  It is something that a trained numismatic eye would know, whether it is necessary to remove ALL of the patina to identify the coin.  From an archaeologists point of view they might not understand that fact and try to get the coin down to the metal, there in lies the contradiction between science and aesthetics.
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 11:03:23 am »
My opinion is that some coins would need a good cleaning off of any encrustations to simply identify the coin right out of the ground.  Of course the cleaning of coins is an accepted and necessary practice, but its the extent of the cleaning that is the issue.  In most cases the patina preserves any detail left on the coin and over-cleaning would remove that detail, as the underlying metal would be too corroded to clearly identify the coin.  It is something that a trained numismatic eye would know, whether it is necessary to remove ALL of the patina to identify the coin.  From an archaeologists point of view they might not understand that fact and try to get the coin down to the metal, there in lies the contradiction between science and aesthetics.

Yet despite what those who are against private collection of antiquities say, ancient numismatics is more than aesthetics. It is an applied science just as much as archaeology or anthropology.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:11:40 am »

Quote from: commodus on August 26, 2009, 09:39:35 pm
At times, buried coins are found fused together or, more often, fused into accretion. Either way, separation is required and that would, indeed, necessitate the removal of patina in the process. This is not always the case, of course, but it often is and could account for some of the cleaning.

I posted a statement, and then went back and read the article again - and changed my post. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge. We can't tell by the general statement in the article if they irreparably harmed any coins, even though brasso would be a definite no-no. Some coin patinas are way past saving. If they were able to get any info on a corroded coin that would otherwise be little more than a pitted slug, then I suppose that in the name of science...

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:23:53 am »
I remember reading an article related to the preservarion of antiquities and patina.  A museum which used to preserve by removing all patina via electrolysis and then applying a protective coating anaylzed thosed objects after several years and compared them to those where the patina had been preserved.  The electrolyzed artifiacts had a much higher incedence of bronze disease than the other items.  I'll try to find the article if anyone is interested.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 11:53:34 am »
Electrolysis ruins coins! I swore off of it a long time ago. I'd love to see that article.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 12:25:15 pm »
Heres an excerpt from section 4 of the article.  Not exactly what I remembered with respect to bronze disease, but items treated with electrolysis did corrode  and often required re-treatment:

One of the primary reasons for the early stripping of bronzes was to rid them of chloride that causes bronze disease (Beale 1996). MFA records also state the following goals: to remove corrosion, to allow reshaping and reforming, and to reveal inscriptions. By the early 1980s notes in files begin to reflect ethical conflicts with such treatments, and reduction is now rarely used at the MFA. Its use on Egyptian artifacts in recent years has been restricted to local reduction using formic acid and aluminum foil for removal of remains of corrosion products from previously reduced objects.

Metals that have been reduced or stripped have often required re-treatment in later years due to tarnishing or corrosion of reactive, bright metal and the removal or renewal of protective coatings (discussed in sec. 4.7). Another problem that has been noted with a few chemically cleaned objects is corrosion connected with residual chemicals leaching out of the metal.

Here's a link to the whole article.  Quite interesting.

http://206.180.235.133/jaic/articles/jaic42-02-004_indx.html

CzarMike

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 12:41:55 pm »
Gah, it stings the nasal passage thinking about it.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:32 pm »
Electrolysis ruins coins!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but I agree that it makes them less desirable.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity