Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 3 Islamic gold coins ID needed! Mahmud II.?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
  • What's the officer, problem?
3 Islamic gold coins ID needed! Mahmud II.?
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »
Hi experts!

Here are 3 islamic gold coins I've had in my collection for quite a while now. I couldn't find a proper ID for them on the web, so I decided to consult the FAC forum  :)

First, the diameter of the coins (from left to right): 19mm - 12,5mm - 17,5mm

The two big coins I believe to be from Mahmud II. AH 1223-1255 (AD 1808-1839). The denomination should be a Cedid Adil Altin, Qustantiniyah (Constantinopolis) mint, struck in ۲۸ (= 28. regnal year; AH 1251=AD 1836).

Is this correct? If anyone here can tell, do you think they are genuine? ;)

The small one is in pretty bad shape. I believe it to be of gold too, because it's exactly as thin as the other two (about 0,35mm I guess).... too thin even for an islamic bronze coin, I'd say.
The floral ornaments around the center of the coin are just the same as on the big coins, but the center of the coin is too worn to make anything out... maybe unless one knows what to look for :)
Generally, the style of the small one is too detailed for a bronze coin I think.

Any IDs, opinions and comments especially on the small one are very much appreciated!

I'm really looking forward to any replies!   8)
Thank you!

-Kat

God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

Manzikert

Re: 3 Islamic gold coins ID needed! Mahmud II.?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:48:59 pm »
Hi Kat

I'm afraid these are all jewellery copies of gold coins, and are struck in brass, see the right hand item on the second row of this page http://www.osmanliparalari.com/yazi/penez/penezTR2.htm for an identical item to your right hand piece.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Katharosteriphos

• Consul
  • What's the officer, problem?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:06:35 pm »
Hi Manzikert,

Thank you for your answer!
I do agree about the coin on the right. It's style also isn't fine enough for an authentic coin.
But the other two ones I do believe to be genuine. Compare the 4 or 5 flowers surrounding the center on the two big ones. On the left one, they are very crude, but on the one on the right they are very detailed. Too detailed for a copy, I'm tempted to say ;)

Any opinions?

-kat
God is dead.
   -Nietzsche

Nietzsche is dead.
   -God

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:25:10 pm »
None of these coins look like gold to me.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 04:37:25 pm »
weigh them and that should tell you or at least give you a good idea about the composition of the metal.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Manzikert

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »
Hi Kat

I'm afraid they are definitely copies: the one on the right may have been gilded at some time, but the other two are definitely brass: as Raymond says, weigh them and you will find that all three are underweight for what they are trying to be, cedid mahmudiye altin (c.1.59 gm KM 645) and the half (c.0.78 gm KM 644)

Gold doesn't corrode, and the left hand one has the dull brownish-yellow of brass, and the centre one is reddish-brown from the copper oxide on its surface.

See below for a photograph of a genuine piece of your left hand item, the same year (28). Notice the milled rim, not present on any of your pieces, the finer engraving and particularly the colour of the metal.

Best wishes

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity