Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Alexander  (Read 1506 times)

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Severus Alexander
« on: September 17, 2007, 04:47:07 pm »
I know this needs a lot of cleaning, especially that hard red crust on the reverse (What is that?), but does anyone know the identity of this coin?

It's got to be Mars on the reverse as I can see a helmet, so would it be RIC 7? RIC 23?  How can I tell.

Also what mint is it from?

regards

Mark

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Re: Severus Alexander
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 05:01:13 pm »
No expert, but I would say it depends on the number in P M TR P ? COS PP... Judging by the space in it, I would venture RIC 37, RSC 251:

Laureate, draped head right
IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG
P M TR P III COS PP
Mars standing front, head left, holding branch and spear

Just a guess... Regards,
Ignasi

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 05:01:51 pm »
Looks like P M TR P II (or III) COS P P, Mars standing l. holding branch and spear, RSC 231 or 251.

Official again!  Caracalla, Macrinus, or Elagabalus caught the counterfeiters?
Curtis Clay

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 05:09:04 pm »
Brilliant, once again, thanks to you Curtis for looking at the coin, and Ignasi also for trying to guess what is beneath what looks like a small mountain of crud.

Curtis, in this issue what quality should the silver be?  I ask because obviously I want to clean the coin, and as it already looks a very grey/white poor quality colour, I'm nervous to use lemon juice etc.

Thanks again both,

Mark
P.S. Let's hope their punishment when they were caught was working the mint, otherwise the Romans lost some seriously good celators.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:22:52 pm »
Fineness should be c. 40-50 %, high enough to withstand acids.
Curtis Clay

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:38:39 pm »
Thanks Curtis.

And just for a laugh, found in the same place as those ancient counterfeits was the below coin.  I hope this engraver didn't take over the business when his old man was caught by Macrinus  ;)

(Is there any way to identify this other than Barborous Fel Temp?)

EDIT :- And I've just seen Joe's post in the fake coins section where he says "In general, do not direct questions to specific individuals on the boards.  Questions should be left open for anyone with the knowledge to answer.  By directing a question at a specific member you may burden them with answering a question they might not have the time or desire to answer."  I apologise if I have crossed that line earlier in the thread.  I will make my questions open in future.

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:56:29 am »
The coin has good detail and style.  I'd like to see what it looks like after its cleaned.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:00:32 am »
The coin has good detail and style.  I'd like to see what it looks like after its cleaned.
The Severus you mean?  or the barb?  Unless I hear otherwise I will assume the former  :)

Offline Goodies

• Consul
  • Coins are like old newspapers.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:20:58 am »
@mwilson603 what a great imitative that is ! Eye and tongue were cut with a small punch in the die.

Presumably it reads (N/T)TIVS with "S" cut on its side, indicating Constantius II as example coin. It is quite far from the Severus Alexander denarius shown above (say, 100-150 years  ;D ) I think it is North West European. The Balkan imitatives of this time had a different style. Refer to Helvetica's FEL TEMP examples,

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

What's the diameter in mm ?

:)
Lx

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 10:16:02 am »
Hi Goodies, it is 17mm in diameter.

From what I can see the obverse legend is only TIN and then M with an extra up and down stroke.  Also the T appears to have two uprights.  The reverse obviously should say FELTEMP but in hand the F seems almost to have a bottom to make it another E.

The bit I really like is underneath the falling horse.  I can't decide if it's meant to be grass or a large flow of blood?

So as Helvetica doesn't have anything really similar, especially complete with lettering, I am assuming that this is a rarer type?

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 07:11:23 am »
OK, the finished item, well at least as far as I am going to take it.  That crud was horrible to get off and even though I ws really slow and careful, the crud had a kind of mixed consistency between hard flaky "brick/rust" to, and without warning soft clay.  So I know that I have left some small scratches.  I also had a small flake of surface come off with the crud at one point so I don't want to push it.

Anyway, 2.6g, and nice detail I think.  Perfectly centred, so final attribution would be?

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 10:23:44 am »
As Curtis first suggested, RSC 231
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 02:45:37 pm »
Almost!! I was off one "I" (and 20 RIC numbers)!  ;)

Nice work with the cleaning, though. One day I'm gonna have to learn...

Regards,
Ignasi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity