Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Denarius of Claudius and Agrippina Minor  (Read 712 times)

Offline Miguel D2

• Legionary
Denarius of Claudius and Agrippina Minor
« on: May 13, 2021, 03:45:04 pm »
Dear Friends,

For your enjoyment:

Denarius of Claudius and Agrippina Minor - RIC I (second edition) Claudius 81.

Diameter: 18,53 mm.

Weight: 3,28 gr.

Provenance: Found in the locality of Água Branca, (Bemposta), county of Abrantes, district of Santarém - Portugal.

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :
Re: Denarius of Claudius and Agrippina Minor
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 03:40:59 am »
Very nice coin, and this one has a known provenance !
For each Roman coin the OCRE website lists the places where specimens have been found, but for isolated finds their only source for the moment seems to be the British Portable Antiquities Scheme. So, only Britain seems to be documented... If you are 100% sure of this coin's provenance, if it has been found in an official excavation or survey for example, you could signal it to OCRE.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 11:43:32 am »
Very nice coin.  I can't tell from the pictures, are the black spots encrustations or is it a fouree?

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:17:21 pm »
The surface does look a bit unusual.   It is a bit light for the apparent condition.   Has it passed through a dealer's hands?
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

All coins are guaranteed for eternity