Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Biggyg2 - George Clegg  (Read 691 times)

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Biggyg2 - George Clegg
« on: April 21, 2021, 12:55:02 pm »
It was with great sadness that I read a card I received yesterday from George Clegg's girlfriend and long-time partner in England, that George had died suddenly at the end of February.

George was known on ebay under the name of biggyg2 and I am sure a lot of you bought some of his coins - they were never expensive but were usually in very nice condition, mostly Roman imperials but some Greek and provincial coins especially from Thrace and Moesia. In fact it was the files stored on my computer of George's coins that I had sent to Dave Surber over the years, which greatly helped me to restore many of the images and files lost when Dave died in 2009 and the website destroyed by the evil creature who had access to the old server. There are 897 of George's coins on wildwinds.

I had known George for about 18 years, he used to send me photos of coins to identify before he put them on ebay. About 13 years ago he made a batch of 10 pure silver copies of the famous Athenian dekadrachm which he thought was the most beautiful of ancient coins, and sold 8 of them, clearly and expressedly described as copies. I had sent him a small bar of silver to make mine, and he kept one for himself.

Some of his emails were so funny. If he wasn't sure about an ancient coin, he would give me a silly description of what he thought it could be, for example "the head of a man with a chicken on his head" (it was a denarius with the figure wearing a floppy Phrygian cap, if I remember correctly).

Having made the copies of the dekadrachm, George converted his garden shed into a forge, and sent me one of his first efforts - a heavy iron knife as a letter-opener. For a change, the Swiss customs didn't charge me anything for "importing" it, probably because they weren't sure what exactly it was.

I will miss George and my sympathies go to his girlfriend and his twin brother "Bruv" Pete Clegg.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity