Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Campania, Capua ?  (Read 634 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Campania, Capua ?
« on: January 29, 2021, 07:42:37 am »
Hi folks,

As some Forum members know, I recently began re-organizing my website and correcting errors. There is a coin that I have some questions about. I don't know exactly how to classify it and where to place it in my website.

Here is the coin (scroll down, last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/gi_camp_capua_pt01.htm

I purchased this coin many years ago from Mr. Lindgren before he passsed away. When he attributed it several decades ago, the old reference books classified it as a Greek Italy, Campania, Capua coin issued in the 3rd century BC.

Here is a link to an acsearch example:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3306420

As you can see from the text description, according to new information, it was issued in the mid-late 1st century BC, probably after 39-35 BC.

In light of this new information, how do I classify this coin? Where do I place it in my collection and in my website? Is it a Greek Italy, Roman Provincial, or Roman Republic/Imperatorial coin? I am currently leaning toward Roman Provincial. I don't have a separate section for my Roman Imperatorial coins in my website, so I would have to place it with my Roman Republic coins. That seems awkward and out of place.

What does everyone think?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Campania, Capua ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:27:10 am »
Hi folks,

I interpret the lack of response from Forum members to mean that everyone else is just a confused as I am.

I think that what I am going to do is leave it in the section it is currently in, but I will move it to the end of my Capua Part 2 page, with a note explaining the situation.

Meepzorp

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 09:41:07 am »

Lindgren listed this coin as #190 on his book listing European mints.
His references are: "BMC 23, Cop. 342. 4.52gr
(Attribution to Capua conjectual.)"

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 11:28:46 am »
Hi Pekka,

Thanks for the information. :)

Earlier today, I moved the coin to the end of my Capua, Part 2 page, with a note. I explained it in my post in the Website section of Forum.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity