Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: jewish war shekels in near perfect condition  (Read 7624 times)

Offline Ibex-coins

• Consul
Re: jewish war shekels in near perfect condition
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 11:35:45 pm »
Robert,
Jean-Philippe Fontanille, owner of the Menorah Coin Project is currently working on a die-study of all shekels from the first revolt.  He is hoping to publish a book along the lines of Mildenbergs book on Bar-Kokhba coins.  He is very helpful and loves to hear from other numismatists.  I suggest that you could write to him and get an estimate on how many shekels were minted during the first revolt.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 12:51:27 pm »
Done, thanks. I hadn't thought of contacting him, but it sounds like a good bet.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 06:47:47 pm »
I got a very prompt reply to the effect that he's listed 78 obverse dies and 245 reverse dies, including both full and half shekels. This gives an indication of how much extra wear there was on the reverse die, limiting its life. about 10-15% probably remain to be found, giving round figures of 90 obverse and 300 reverse dies. The number of coins known per die is very variable, with 2 obverse dies having struck 96% of all the known Year 3 half-shekels, and 4 dies the remaining 4%.

Clearly, a considerable operation was involved, for such a small nation. Large quantities of silver must have been used, and my first impression is that the most plausible source for this would have been the Temple treasury, suggesting that if the Temple didn't actually mint them, it would have been heavily involved, if only passively.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity