Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible belt mount?  (Read 480 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Possible belt mount?
« on: April 14, 2022, 12:23:08 pm »
I just got back from a metal detecting trip and found what appears to match some roman belt mount designs. However other finds didn't show up so that makes me doubtful it is Roman.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Possible belt mount?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 08:42:10 am »
A flat-head stud, they, like the mushroom-head studs, had a wide variety of uses - belts, baldrics, horse harness, etc.  They were especially common in the 2nd to 3rd century but were used before and after that too.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2022, 09:17:03 am »
A flat-head stud, they, like the mushroom-head studs, had a wide variety of uses - belts, baldrics, horse harness, etc.  They were especially common in the 2nd to 3rd century but were used before and after that too.

SC

Thanks Shawn so you think it's Roman? The alloy,patina and and iron encrustations made me think it's more modern. In that case i'm excited as there are many fields left to explore :D.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 09:46:25 am »
This type was definitely used widely by the Romans, some have an almost mirrored finish - likely tinned.  Some studied in the Netherlands were once coated with enamel though almost nothing remains.  Most were simple bronze.

It you clean off the base of the stud it should show signs of hand manufacture.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity