Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Richard II penny? help ID  (Read 724 times)

Offline Ricardo R

• Legionary
Richard II penny? help ID
« on: July 05, 2021, 02:32:57 pm »
Greetings!

Found on [Removed by admin] one guy selling what he called a silver penny of King Richard II, found by metal detecting.
I was expecting to have a coin of this king and as the price was inviting so I bought it.

When I receive the color caught my attention as it is different from all the other medieval ones I have (I collect only french and Uk), even though some are straight from a metal detector without washing.

here are some pics, hope you guys can help me if this is genuine coin, however the coin doesn't seem to me to be a penny but half a penny, am I right?
I can read on bust side 'RICAR' and on cross side 'EBORACI' york city.

I`m not sure about the weight as well...

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Richard II penny? help ID
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 06:43:43 am »
I have a Richard II halfpenny. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=166215

Its weight is 0.55gms, half the weight of your coin which would seem to me to indicate that your coin is indeed a penny.

So Richard II penny struck at York. The lis on the king's breast would indicate an early style issue. Ref. SPINK: 1690.

Alex

Offline Ricardo R

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 10:04:18 am »
thank you alex! so its really a penny, and what about this collor its normal?
sorry ask to much but what is this ref  SPINK: 1690.?
would you recomend for me a catalog for identification of styles?

thank you again! :)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 10:52:39 am »
SPINK is a reference work. "Coins of England and the United Kingdom" by Spink.  There is a copy for sale here in the FORVM shop

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=22275q00.jpg&vpar=1833&zpg=111362&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

I can recommend this book and it is a bargain at this price.

Alex

Offline Ricardo R

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 12:38:50 pm »
once again thank you so much for help Alex!
 +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity