Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Turkoman figural bronze coins not in Spengler and Sayles  (Read 426 times)

Offline Warren

• Praetorian
Turkoman figural bronze coins not in Spengler and Sayles
« on: June 20, 2021, 07:47:54 pm »
Spengler and Sayles wrote Turkoman Figural Bronze Coins, volumes 1 and 2, which covered the Artuqids and Zengids. Unfortunately, Spengler took ill and died so volume 3, which would have described the other figural types, was not written. Therefore, those other figural types have not had Spengler and Sayles ID numbers. With this post I am announcing a new web site, "Turkoman Figural Bronze Coins, a supplement to Spengler and Sayles."

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Turkoman/Turkoman.html

"The purpose of this web page is to list, illustrate, and provide ID numbers for the Turkoman figural bronze types that are not in the two standard volumes by Spengler and Sayles."

Technically, the Ayyubids were of Kurdish stock and not Turkoman, but they are also included.

I corresponded with Wayne Sayles who gave his approval to the new ID system with "SSS" (Spengler and Sayles Supplement) numbers.

I freely admit I am not an expert on figural bronze coins, but I had lots of help from Steve Album who is. He is one of the most prominent experts on Islamic coins in the world: https://db.stevealbum.com/php/home.php
Thank you, Steve!

Why did I write that page if I am not an expert? I wrote it because there is a need for a reference for the figural types not in the two volumes by Spengler and Sayles and no one else had already isolated all those types in one place. Besides, it is fun to study a subject and try to organize it for others to use and enjoy. I expect there are errors and omissions. I solicit suggestions and especially corrections. Send them to my e-mail address on that page.

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
Re: Turkoman figural bronze coins not in Spengler and Sayles
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 09:08:46 pm »
Thank you so much for creating this!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 09:48:48 pm »
Very nice and well done site. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Virgil

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 04:12:49 am »
I have many many more and can donate images to your website without anthing in return. I also have types that should have been in Vol I and II but are missing. Kind of like "not in ric" types. If you have chosen to include Ayyubids into Turkomans (might be a problem for Kurds), then it can also make sense to include the Ilkhanid Figurals as well.

Let me know if I can send you images.
Best wishes
Burak

Attached is Hennequin #375, Zangid AE dirham, ' Izz al-Din Mas'ud II b. Arslanshah I, Mawsil (not in SS)

Offline Warren

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 10:18:27 am »
"then it can also make sense to include the Ilkhanid Figurals as well."

Yes, and Wayne Sayles also recommended that to me. I wrote the page for collectors and I don't know that Ilkhanid coins are much collected.  In any case, I don't have the resources to do a good job of it. As I wrote on the page, I am not an expert on Islamic coins. I have some of the main books and worked from them. However, I don't have a book for Ilkhanid figurals. If you would contact me at the e-mail address new the bottom of that page I'd be glad to discuss it and to add in "not in S/S" types, but the expertise would have to be yours, not mine. I'd be glad to give contributors credit.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity