Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Fake Parthians

(1/3) > >>

Robert_Brenchley:
I should really have spotted these from the dealer's scans, but another collector who's far more expert than me also assued they were genuine. To judge from the dealer's response, I don't think he had any idea they were fake, and he has promised to honour his guarantee, so its not too bad. They appear to have been hubbed from real coins, but they're quite obviously fake once you have them in hand.

Mithridates II, Sellwood 26.1. 19mm, 3.11g.

Robert_Brenchley:
Unknown King II, Sellwood 30.15. 20mm, 3.05g. I was particularly irritated by this one, as its a rare variant; the poor strike in the centre of the reverse, where the coin is thickest, is a sign that it was hubbed from a genuine example, as this would be really hard to imitate effectively. Its the most convincing of the four, but the junction of the two halves of the mould is clearly visible on the reverse.

Robert_Brenchley:
Orodes I, Sellwood 31.5. 20mm, 3.28g. The flan flaw is only present on one side, and looks as though it was cut with a saw.

Robert_Brenchley:
Vologases VI, Sellwood 88.18. 18mm, 3.41g.

Bluefish:

Robert, if you have not already done so I will post these to the fakes board. I have never seen this these types of coin before tho... are they greek, and if so, what denomination? Pardon a newbie's ignorance!

Thanks.

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version