Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Teos stater  (Read 666 times)

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
Teos stater
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:16:41 am »
As there is some slight double striking (or shifting?) it seems to be genuine. What worries me is the style of the head of the griffin; it seems like the beasts in the Bubble Bobble game  :o  Similar coins have a totally different style. Any comments would be welcome...

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Teos stater
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:44:48 pm »
Looks perfectly fine. Balcer obverse die 102. Flan cracks are normal as well.

Barry Murphy

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:27:02 am »
Thanks a lot Barry. I am afraid I do not have access to Balcer, apart from coin plates from acsearch and wildwinds.
It seems that the dot near the ears that looks like an eye is not an eye but a die break (?) that is causing this optical illusion. Could you please verify that the upper part of the griffin's beak should be that thick and the orientation of the grapes on the right bottom is correct?

Many thanks in advance

Looks perfectly fine. Balcer obverse die 102. Flan cracks are normal as well.

Barry Murphy

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:19:44 pm »
Everything is correct. Here's an example from CNG.

Barry

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »
... I am afraid I do not have access to Balcer, ...
This article is available online:
http://dx.doi.org/10.5169/seals-173879 (text)
http://dx.doi.org/10.5169/seals-173883 (plates; but you have to advance to page 152 and then advance further to see the beginning of the plates)

Regards

Altamura

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 10:38:01 am »
I would like to thank you all for your helpful responses!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity