Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mars Intaglio silver ring!  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Mars Intaglio silver ring!
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:44:14 pm »
Hi everyone.  I bought two intaglios several months ago, a nice blue mars and a red victory.  I finally got around to putting the Mars into a setting.  I debated between gold, white gold or silver.  I made the decision to go with a silver setting, very simple as it might have originally been set.  It's a very deep engraving and I want to get some clay to see what the impression will look like.  I'm very thrilled with how it turned out. What do you think?

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-67675

Offline Barabus

• Consul
Re: Mars Intaglio silver ring!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:02:22 am »
 Wow! I really like the ring and the setting,although I would have gone with gold. Very nice!

edited to replace gold for coin.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:29:38 am »
It is beautiful... yet simplistic.  Which I love and can obviously tell you were going for!!!  I probably would have went white gold so it looked silver, but didn't have the tarnish issues, but that is just me.

Jay, I would love to see the post of the red victory.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:08:19 pm »
Thanks guys.  Here is the Victory.  It's much more red then the picture depending on the angle you look at it but it is a deep red.  Very bold engraving and it doesn't look so rough in hand.

I thought of going with white gold but because the intaglio is not perfectly oval the setting had to be custom made and the price between white gold and silver is astronomical right now!  So...silver it is!

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:41:57 pm »

I thought of going with white gold but because the intaglio is not perfectly oval the setting had to be custom made and the price between white gold and silver is astronomical right now!  So...silver it is!

Well then I would have went silver as well!  ;D

The victory is very nice as well.

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »
Next time you need to sign something, dip wax on the page, and stamp on your ring! :)
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity