Resources > The Best of Type Gallery

New Image in Best of Type Gallery

(1/1)

PtolemAE:
Just added a nice Alexander-wearing-Elephantskin Ptolemy II bronze obol to Best of Type.  Comments please.
Link:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-59854

PtolemAE

Enodia:
very impressive Ptolemy. your collection is making me rethink my aversion to bronze!

~ Peter

PtolemAE:

--- Quote from: Enodia on September 10, 2010, 03:37:21 am ---very impressive Ptolemy. your collection is making me rethink my aversion to bronze!

~ Peter

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your very kind words.  The 'series' page at www.ptolemybronze.com has these and more :)

I decided very early on collecting ancients that bronze was 'it'.  Bronze coins were used by everyday ordinary folks so they got worn and moved around and not as frequently hoarded.  That makes finding good ones even harder than the (admittedly beautiful) Greek silver and gold.  Even though the superb pieces are quite rare they seem to be much more affordable for collectors than precious metal so a collection may not be cheap but relatively accessible to ordinary folks today, too.  Bronzes often have terrific artistic style even though their value was much lower than silver or gold of course.  Just finding the really good ones takes patience and perseverance.  I doubt I'll see another of this type that's this nice.

Welcome to bronze :)

PtolemAE

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version