Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine(?) ring  (Read 2859 times)

Offline blot-sven

• Consul
  • Trying is the first step towards failure
Byzantine(?) ring
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:46 am »
Hello

Can anyone tell something about this old ring. I think it is byzantine. I have no idea what the letters say.

Many thanks in advance!

Offline blot-sven

• Consul
Re: Byzantine(?) ring
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »
Does anyone have a guess? Age etc?

Thanks!

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »
Hi blot-sven,
Your ring seems to Byzantine, as it has a typical Byzantine Greek invocational inscription. The impression of the ring seems to read +KER / OH(Theta)H IW / ANNH (?), 'Lord, aid John' (Kyrie boèthè Ioannè), the word KYPIE is contracted KE, and beta has the form of R, as is conventional from about the 9th century until the 13th century, but I think your ring would date to the 9th-10th centuries.
Regards
Gert

Offline blot-sven

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:45:54 am »
Thank you very much Gert! This is very interesting information for me. I have had this ring for about five years but I knew nothing about it.

Many thanks again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity