Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: new article on campgates  (Read 36855 times)

gavignano

new article on campgates
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:19:36 pm »
Hello. I posted tonight the results of a little mini-study of 263 Constantine campgates that I did. Title is "campgates of Constantine." Send me a PM if you found it helpful or want to discuss the results, I'm not an expert but have been digging into this type for months and am eager to always talk to any other collectors about this. thanks Joe for having the page up for us to post these! Joe

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: new article on campgates
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:45:29 am »
I tried to improve the format a bit and discovered that some recent changes to the browsers have made a mess of a few things.  Sorin is going to work on that today.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

gavignano

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:51:53 pm »
Hi .database updated - now at 292 coins. Will continue with project monthly! Joe
P.S. if anyone has a "spare" Ticinium they would like to sell, PM me please!

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:51 pm »
Database updated. Now at 338 campgates.

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:27:40 pm »
Now at 400 campgates!! (actually 398). A Ticinium was recently offered on eBay and had fierce bidding. The only Lugdunum currently available, offered by Joe on Forvm, was recently bought (   by me  :)    )

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:41 pm »
Added more coins, and found a fault in my search strategy, now remedied. I was surprised to notice that on online, some Constantine I campgates were listed without any mention of the words "campgate" or "camp-gate" anywhere in both the title or description. This included several scarce Rome issues, and to my great surprise, an issue from Ticinum!
I will next add RIC numbers as I finally purchased RIC VII for a good price. I will add all but some of the r5's which were mules. I know RIC gets bashed a lot, with good reason, for rarity ratings, but in general, they were close for these campgates, in terms of this study.  Joe

gavignano

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:14:46 pm »
Hello. Updated the page again   - now at 500 coins. Hope to reach 1000 by Christmas time. This page has over 11,000 reads, so I would encourage anyone else to take up a study like this of a similarly popular series of an emperor.
Note I am thinking of also doing Constantine II  campgates.
Joe

All coins are guaranteed for eternity