Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

How to Clean Silvered (not Silver) Coins

<< < (3/7) > >>

Robert_Brenchley:
Leave it, it's great as it is! If you mess with it, you could well end up losing the silvering, and for what?

areich:
I agree. There's no way to improve this coin.

SC:
"Half-way decent" is a different definition for different eras.  For a Gallienus I would call this coin way, way, way decent  ;)

Definitely a leave as is.

Shawn

Johnny:
Here is another silvered coins that I am having problems in figuring out a way to clean

the coin itself  is
Constantine II   
AE 17-19 mm 2.0 grams
OBV  ::  CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C. Laureate and cuirassed bust right
REV  ::     VOT V   MVLT X    CAESS   dot TS dot B dot within wreath
Thessalonica RIC VII Thessalonica 45
RIC rated R1

anyone have suggestions on the cleaning of this.  Machanical ( pin vise )  is in progress,  but  taking silvering off

Mayadigger:
Ave!

Johnny,

It's quite difficult but it can be done. Cleaning slivered coins in this condition takes lots of patience and a steady hand.

Try this: soak the coin in distilled water or Gringgott's Conservator's Mix (GG's works best in these cases) for a day or so. Then very gently use your vise pin (copper not steel) to very, very carefully begin cleaning the softened dirt from the open fields. Remember to keep the coin damp. A dab of saliva works best, trust me. When you see silvering, stop, and move on to another area. Repeat, them put the coin back in the soak.

Repeat as noted above: remember, no matter how you try, some silvering will be removed. Patience is a virtue...slow but steady wins the race, eh?

Once you feel that you've progressed as far as you think possible, you're nearly one half finished.  ;) Put the coin back in the soak!

Now, using a very soft bristle toothbrush and dish soap, apply the brush, again very gently, to the coin's surface in a swirling motion. Rinse and repeat. Look at the coin. Has any futher dirt been removed? Has any silvering been removed. If the latter, the coins done. If not repeat until your satisfied.

Best I can do.

Kevin

PS - Perhaps our moderator could copy this to the "How to Clean Silvered Coins" post?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version