Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Troas, Ilion AE Coin  (Read 931 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Troas, Ilion AE Coin
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:38:27 am »
Had this little one for some time now and my interest was just brought up after seing one from the same region here on Forvm. So if I'm not mistaken this should be from Ilion, but I haven't been able to find the reverse type online, looks like Athena holding a spear, caduceus in front of her?? I don't have a clearer pic, not even the dimension (around 12 mm I'd say), it's in the safety deposit box. Any indications? Thanks!

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
Re: Troas, Ilion AE Coin
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 09:51:12 am »
Hiya yours is the type with athena in an attic helmet. I can't find an exact match for your reverse type (these coins from 3rd C BC Troy seem to be rare)

but heres the best I could find. I wonder if the caduceus is a control mark on your coin? Theres another symbol in the same place n this one:
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 11:21:02 am »
Thanks CANTANATRIX for the reply. I don't think that the caduceus is a control mark, looks like Athena is using it as a "walking stick". There's something looking like an "A" between it and Athena's legs that could be one I guess??

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 11:25:43 am »
Yeah I see what you mean its not a control mark-that 'A' might be though-its different from the few other examples I've seen where Athena Ilia is holding something up rather than leaning on something, as she is in my Corinthian helmeted Athena variant.

*edit* actually I can make out the same 'distaff' on your coin in Athena's left hand that is in mine.
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 11:30:28 am »
Highlighted....

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:31:19 am »

hard to see but its there-it is still though a different die from my coin.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 02:36:24 pm »
I see what you mean, hard to say but I think you're right. I will take this one home next time I go to the bank and get a closer look at it. Thanks!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity