Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Four coins of various levels of doubtfulness

(1/3) > >>

moonmoth:
Greetings!

I received a group of 4 Severan coins today.  I am sure that one is a fake, doubtful about two, and fairly happy with the fourth.  I would appreciate opinions!

The first is a Severus Alexander coin which seems to be a fantasy or a mule, because this reverse is not in RIC for Severus Alexander.  The field is far too smooth, there is some dubious pitting, the flan crack next to the X of PAX doesn't go through to the other side, and the edge looks very weird indeed, ridged as though it had shrunk as it cooled.  This is a known fake: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-3430

The second is Septimius Severus RIC IV 176, BMCRE V p202, 252 (I think!).  The fields look wrong, with a fine cross-hatching which is not crystallisation.  The flan crack above the forehead does not go through. Edges of lettering appear not just worn, but soft.  I think, cast fake.

The next two are in the next post.

moonmoth:
(Continued from last post) The third coin is a Geta with a Vota Pvblica reverse. RIC IV 34a, BMCRE V p242, 441.  The fields are flat, but minutely pitted all over which takes the shine off.  But if this hadn't come with the first two, I probably would not have doubted it.

The last is another Geta, RIC IV 59a, BMCRE V p274, 584.  This one looks OK to me with only one or two possible exceptions: the fields are so smooth that the coin might have been pressed rather than struck, and there is a pit on the face.

Thanks for looking!

maridvnvm:
The Severus Alexander is a known fake. Die match to another example in the fake reports.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-162
Now looking at the others.
Regards,
Martin

moonmoth:
Thanks, Martin, I found it too, in a different place, entered by you!  I have already amended my first post to show that link.

Bill

mix_val:
I always recognize that particular cast fake of severus alexander by that apparent bulge in the hairline above the ear. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version