Antiquities Discussion Forums > Seals and Tesserae

Help with Lead Seal bust

(1/2) > >>

EX.NVMMIS:
Hi to all!
This time I need help with this romannLead seal, It shows 4 busts, & beetwen them a dolphin, I think is third century by style.
Any can recognize if this seal shows an emperor and caesars?
Thaks for helpme.
Ricardo

mauseus:
Hi,

I have a small collection of 10 Roman/Byzantine lead seals including the one illustrated below. Whilst having the dolphin in the centre like yours the fourth character on mine is replaced by another dolphin by the look of it (or it could be the remnants of an off centre strike or impression of the seal obliterating the fourth character).

I don't know whether it is an imperial group or not as the character in the top left is wearing some sort of head gear that makes me doubt that type of attribution. It might be a simplified wreath.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Regards,

Mauseus

EX.NVMMIS:
Hi Mauseus
Nice seal! Yes, the fourth character looks like a dolphin too, the another heads are same that my seal. Heads makes me think in some provintia coins. Do you have information about How this seal are used exactly?
I have two seals more. I post today pics of them.

Regards

Ricardo

mauseus:
Hi,

I wish I knew what they were for. Most that I have seen, including this one, have a domed back and holes through for ties but what they were sealing (bags, documents...) I don't know.

I have three other lead seals posted in my gallery HERE.

Regards,

Mauseus

EX.NVMMIS:
There are my other lead seals. One have a male bust (looks like licinius or similar emperor to me), & the other shows a victory holding palm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version