Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange and rare Gela coin.  (Read 881 times)

Matias Felix

Strange and rare Gela coin.
« on: April 15, 2007, 06:06:38 am »
Hi friends. I bought this coin in Barcelona yesterday, but I don't know anything about it. I thinks it's from Gela (Sicily), but I can't find any match. It's bronze, and about 27mm. Please help me.

Offline Jay G

• Consul
Re: Strange and rare Gela coin.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 07:56:40 am »
I think this may be a cast

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 07:59:59 am »
The 'bluriness' and lack of detail suggest to me that this is a cast fake, plus the fact the coin should be in silver and not bronze.
It imitates the tetradrachms of Gela.

Sorry  :-\

Andy

[link removed by ADMIN]

In fact heres another cast example from ebay via a guy that sells nothing but crappy cast bronzes of silver ancients-and er its exactly the same photo as the one you've given :?

You *ahem* sure you brought that in Barcelona?

Cos its ending in 6 hours...
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Matias Felix

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 08:26:28 am »
Many thanks! I see that I bought a cast copy... And you are right this is the same coin as the one in ebay!!! Many thanks anyway...

Matias Felix

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:28:06 am »
I bought this to a man in barcelona. I tavel almost every month to barcelona, and I buy lots of differents coins from all types, and some time I find some casts... Thanks!

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 03:22:09 am »
Matias, not doubting you at all.

What an amazing coincidence that the coin on ebay and your coin have had the photo taken on the same colour cloth background, with exactly the same weave in the cloth, and the coin at exactly the same orientation, and both you and the guy who took the ebay photos also decided to put a little camera icon in the bottom right hand corner of the picture  ;D

I guess the one on ebay must have been bought from the same person in Barcelona, and that the Barcelona seller gives away a free piece of cloth and integrated camera icon with every cast;)

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:56:00 am »
Someone paid over 30 Euros for it. Oh dear.

Methinks maybe Matias thought he had found a bargain on ebay and wanted to keep us in the dark be 4 it ended lol
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 12:42:50 pm »
That's possible, and would be - I think - a not extremely noble but legitimate behaviour in order not to spoil his chances. If the piece were real and he had said "This coin ends on Ebay tomorrow" and five members of this board had competed for it, he would have bitten his own - er - somewhere afterwards.

Rupert

BTW, here's the real thing:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=54545&AucID=57&Lot=53
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity