Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meaning of NIKA  (Read 1061 times)

bobgreen

Meaning of NIKA
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:04:04 pm »
I have an Anonymous Class C from the Reign of Michael IV, and I have a question about the meaning of the word NIKA.
Does it have the same meaning as NIKE.....victory? Also, I have a Constans II that on the Obverse is the phrase, "EN TYTO NIKA", is NIKA an abreviation of this phrase?

Thank you,
bob

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Meaning of NIKA
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:59:38 pm »
Conquers.
P.L.

bobgreen

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 11:00:06 pm »
Hi Pat,

Thank you very much!

bob

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 01:30:44 pm »
":Greek_epsilon: N  T :VO: TO  NIK :A:" is the Greek equivalent of the Latin "In hoc signo vinces" - "By this sign, you will conquer (be victorious)".

Given the loss of territory to the Muslims at that time, I think the phrase was used along the lines of "Fel Temp Reparatio", a propaganda message contrary to what was actually happening.

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity