Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion Forum

Sad experience

(1/2) > >>

Numerianus:
Taking into account that the hole annihilates the value of this Elagabal denarius, I made an attempt to clean
it using ammoniac. The result is negative. The chemical  processes transformed silver into some black stuff which
was dissolved by ammoniac revealing rather irregular surface. Moreover, some parts of  remains black because ammoniac
did not react properly  everywhere...

Jochen:
It was a nice coin before!

Robert_Brenchley:
What's the precise substance you used? The term 'ammoniac' isn't current on this side of the Atlantic; the nearest I can get is sal ammoniac, which is ammonium chloride.

Numerianus:
French stuff: 20.5% ammonia.

After this experiment  I arrived to a conclusion that miserable silver coins,
apparently, suffered from a harsh cleaning, which are  sold in mass by Bulgarian dealers, also
were nice before...

Robert_Brenchley:
A great many silver coins have been harshly cleaned, but don't despair of them. As long as there's no mechanical damage, they will tone in time. I have a Severus Alexander den which I harshly cleaned myself three years ago this month, to get rid of some irritating greenies. It's now developing the beginnings of cabinet toning, just from sitting in it's flip. Other coins may take a lot longer, but they will get there in the end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version