Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Numiswiki guide to English pronounciation of ancient words and names  (Read 10657 times)

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
The issue of English pronounciation of ancient words has been raised several times. I started an "article" in Numiswiki that might serve as a guide, both to non-native speakers and English native speakers who might not benefit from discussing ancient numismatics with other people often enough to pick up on how to pronounce some of the more obscure words.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=pronunciation

I hope that some of the more knowledgeable members of this Forum will help out with this project!

If there is a particular word you do not know how to pronounce, add it to the list of entries and ask someone to help out with the pronounciation.

Auto

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
Re: Numiswiki guide to English pronounciation of ancient words and names
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:04:42 am »
Great Idea Automan! I personally have never really had the oportunity to discuss ancients conversationally with anyone so I have lots of words I am un sure of. I will add some to the list as I have time.

peterpil19

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 07:34:43 am »
Hey Great idea! I've already added a couple, will add more when I have time.

One question: what about when there is more than one correct prononciation of a word? i.e. U.S. versus English versus Australian (in my case) prononciation. For extreme cases, can we add alternative pronounciations and just put a (AU) or (US) in front?

--Peter

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 09:03:54 am »
One of the best things about NumisWiki is you don't have to ask for permission (well for almost anything I guess).  If you want (AU), (US) and (UK), just do it!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 03:41:24 am »
Good idea about adding languages to the pronounciation guide!

That really is one of the best thing about this kind of project; an idea started by someone can be improved by someone else!

Auto

elusive_fish

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 08:00:53 pm »
The concept of having a pronounciation guide is a fantastic one.  I am no student of Latin, but would love to learn more about how to pronounce what I am studying.  And the wikipedia style of allowing people to add content is also a fantastic concept... but it also makes it hard to ensure what is being documented is correct.

Like I said, I am not latin scholar, but I think there is some pretty bad miss pronounciations on there.

For example, the page suggests the following:
Ceasarea: ses-uh-REE-uh   

From what I know, C's are always 'hard' ie like K's.   Wouldn't it be more like Kai-sar-ee-uh? (don't know about the stress)

Ben

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 09:20:24 pm »
As the title says - it is a guide to the standard English  pronounciation - which is correct with the soft C - not a guide to the correct pronounciation in Latin or Greek - although you are at liberty to create these yourself...

Steve

elusive_fish

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 05:04:07 am »
Ahh right. Sorry. 
I guess I must be slow tonight (lack of sleep from my 3 week old baby?) but I don't quite understand the point of a guide that teachs english speakers how to say latin words in an english way  ???

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 02:39:29 pm »
If you read this thread you might get an idea on the rationale:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=23103.0

Congrats on the (relatively) new arrival!

Steve

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 07:42:34 am »
I think there will always be arguments over pronunciation. Most English-speakers would look at the spine of one of my books and see 'Sissero'. You can't change that, but we do have to be honest about it's being an Anglicisation. I look at it and see 'Kikero', and I know I'm not the only one here.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity