Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Fake Caligula As

(1/3) > >>

mauseus:
Hi,

Bought this fake Caligula As for £5 some time ago. Not certain whether it was cast (most likely) or struck, no certain evidence on edge.

Whilst not bad it does have rather "mechanical" lettering on the obverse, particularly behind the head, and some details are just too woolly.

Regards,

Mauseus

Rupert:
Hmmm... and you're sure it's fake? ???

Rupert

wolfgang336:
The odd encrustations, some flow lines... Yes, some pitting, but not uniform, and could have  been the result of the environment. I don't see anything wrong? Besides you paying on 5 pounds :tongue:

Evan

mauseus:
Hi,

Almost certain its a fake. In the hand it doesn't feel right. The angle of Vesta's legs are wrong (or at least different to all that I've seen), on my specimen they are almost right angle, whereas they are less so on others; and behind Caligula's head the hair is not well defined.

Adrianus has seen the coin in hand, as has Mike Vosper, and both agree with my diagnosis.

Images from WW:

...and a link to WW's Caligula Vesta listings here.

Regards,

Mauseus

curtislclay:
From the image I too would see no reason to condemn the coin.
Style, sharpness, surfaces are all very convincing.
An ancient engraver for this huge issue could make Vesta's legs squarer on one die just as easily as a modern forger!
Condemnation by three experienced numismatists with the coin in hand is of course a negative!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version